My clown has Brooklynella

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by CBSurfrider, Oct 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

It srtarted a few days ago. He has a white film that started to grow all over him. This morning I noticed his tail looks like it's been chewed off as well. I've been all over the internet and this is the best link I found.

Brooklynella

I have the clown in with my tang in the QT tank. I'm aware copper does not help cure clowns or other fish of this parasite. Being it's Sunday I'm having a hard time fining somewhere open that carry's Formalin 3. Can this clown be in with my Tang in my QT tank and also do I need to set up a seperate QT tank for when I do get the Formalin 3. From what I read this parasite makes quick work on the host so I hope he makes it. It's hard to grab good pics, but here are a couple of the clown from yesterday. He's much worse today. I'm starting to think my new 75gal tank is jinxed. I want my 55 back!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I also tried the 15min freshwater dip, but I'm pretty sure I killed him for a moment. He only lasted maybe a minute in there. I picked him up by hand and he laid absolutely still with no movement. I put him in the QT tank and somewhat revived him how I would a fish I caught out of the ocean. He's back among the living, but he's not looking good. He "swims" vertically, more hovering in one place. Also this fish is pushing seven years old so this is not a new addition that I added to my tank.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can not use copper and formalin in the QT together. The clown unfortunately is not long for this world. The images do look like Brookynella so your ID is correct. The Tang is already compromised, since it's still alive in the QT I would not introduce the clown and possibly compromise the Tang further. At this point there is not much you can do for the clown. You do need to set up another QT or a least plan on it in case the Brookynella spreads. What other fish are in the tank?

5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I have another clown, 2 Pj Cardinals, 4 Blue/Green Chromis, 3 Firefish, Arc Eye Hawkfish (which looks like he has it too), and a Damsel

6. Corailline

In the future you need to rethink your stocking guide lines. Tank is set up for a disease out break. Not trying to nit pick, just being honest. The tiniest amount of stress will crash that tank eventually.

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I'm getting rid of most my livestock when I move next month. I'm just keeping my firefish, damsel, and clowns, or a clown depending how this goes..

I don't feel you are being nit picky. This is why I joined this forum! I found a LFS that was open and bought Quick Cure. Active ingrediants are Formalin and Malachite Green. I have a crappy set up for now because my QT tank has my Tang getting dosed with copper in it. I have access to another 10gal tank I can get tomorrow. I just bought another HOB for it at Walmart so I'm ready to go in the morning.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Maybe consider going the UV route if you can get a decent one.

Disclaimer: Yes I know the possible downsides and I know a UV will only kill what is in the water column and all UV's are not created equal.

10. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Thanks for the tips. I want to try and get a grip on what I should change or add since I'm basically starting over next month. Prob save that for a different topic.

11. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Clownfish died.. It was a good run 7years old!

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

So sorry for your loss :(