My closeloop system, need help!!!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by turbo4603, Mar 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Okay guys, i decided to start my circulation adventure with a closeloop system that looks like the drawing i made. My question is, what size pump should i use?? Any sugestions??

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Are you going to use a Oceans Motions valve on this or just have one pump feed all lines at once?

4. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

im guessing this is for the 125? what size is the hole(bulkhead size) thats going to feed the pump? whats your target internal turnover rate?

5. turbo4603

So far, im considering not using an ocean motion. Feeding all four lines all the time. Ill maybe still need to add a powerhead nor two.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

After seeing how the Oceans Motions valve works and how it helps your tank it sold me on it. You can get the cheeper Super Squirt that will handle 2500gph. I didn't want to look in my tank and see cords hanging down and ugly PH sitting on the walls because I didn't set it up right to begin with. Tangster, Jason McKenzie, and Paul from OceansMotion helped me with my set up and I love it. A little extra money to spend but I will have years of excellent viewing in this tank. Might want to consider one of these. Just remember you want volume of water and not blasting pressure.

7. turbo4603

Okay, im getting a better feeling on using the squirt. Chris, i dont have the pump so i dont know the size fitting the pump is gonna have, but the pvc tubes i layed in the tank is all 3/4 inch.
    SO, How would i set the squirt? Remember that the squirt divides the water into 2 and ima have 4 pvc pipes.

8. Click Here!

9. turbo4603

Ima problably have to redo some of my plumbing, but i rather do it right. Do you guys think the way i have it placed is good?

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You basically pushing water from the back to the front. I don't think you would need a Ocean motion for that but you may want to consider some side to side flow and if you introduce that then I would go with a OM unit.

11. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

what i was asking is, what is the size of the hole in the tank that is going to feed water to the pump?

i assume you are going to use an external pump?

if you dont have a hole, are you planning to have the pump in the water or do an over the top feed?

12. turbo4603

ok, now i understand the question. No bulkheads. Everything is over the top, and yes im going to be using an external pum, just dont know what size to go with.
    And now jason has me thinking some on side to side flow. On the vertical pvc, i have small holes pointing all over the place, not all in one direction, but thats not gonna help me get much flow from side to side. I guess im not going to be able to avoid the cable in my tank!!?? Either way, im am going to continue the closed loop so i have good flow between the rocks. But dont know what pump size to go with? Am i missing something?