My cleaner shrimp just had babies!! How do I keep them alive?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by allsmilze, Nov 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. allsmilze

allsmilze Astrea Snail

ok so, I was just about to conduct a water change when all of a sudden I saw my cleaner shrimp throwing out 100's of babies.. I guess it was perfect timing because I ran and grabbed a fine net and must have saved about 100 before the fish started eating them all! It was an amazing site, I witnessed the beginning of life....lol Now the million dollar question is how can I keep them alive? I could place them in qt tank but then they may get sucked up by the filter and at this time I cant go out and buy anything... what do i do?? please help!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

I really don't have any advice for you but congrats! This really put a smile on my face!

How many cleaner shrimp do you have? How long have you had them? This is amazing, any pictures? How old is your tank?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd love to know more about this!;D

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You don't. They have yet to be successfully raised in captivity ;) I personally just consider them a nice bonus for the corals and fish ;)

5. allsmilze

allsmilze Astrea Snail

Anyone else? I want to know if I have a shot at it? has anyone ever successfully raised cleaner shrimps? in captivity?

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I think the longest they have been kept in captivity is something like 23 days or so...

1 person likes this.
  7. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. CoralCrazy

CoralCrazy Spaghetti Worm

Wow thats awesome! Good luck with them if you figure something out.

10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Try it! You may be the first!

K+

11. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

My shrimp spawn nearly every night. I have about 6 blood reds and 7 cleaners, longer i kept one was in my sump inbetween the baffle and a sponge. Its grew to about a quarter inch...lasted about 3-4 weeks. Than disappeared.

Dennis

12. HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The best shot you have probably involves a nice lush refugium with regular feeding of mixed live phytoplankton and live rotifers.

I had my peppermint shrimp give birth. I didnt give raising them too much of a shot but I know some lasted 2 weeks with the feedings of Phycopure, live rotis and oyster eggs I was feeding my worm rock next door. Same also happened with a seahorse that gave birth, i felt so guilty about not being able to provide for them that i released them into the inlet I caught its parents in. LAter I found out that the first day of birth is critical to the babys, they have to eat.. alot. So i dunno if its the same for cleaner shrimp. Next time she drops a brood im going to isolate into a separate pre estblished refugium and concetrate on feedings. Why not give it a shot espcially if its never been done before. I wonder if moon lights play a role with fry. As we continue to discover more benefits of moonlight perhaps a few more species will succeed in captive raising.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
    1 person likes this.