My Clam won't stand????

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Dador, May 5, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

About 3 weeks ago the mantel on my clam was not as pronounced as before. It was at the bottom of the Hex 30 inches on the sand. I thought maybe it needed more light so I moved it up. It jumped right back down. For the past three weeks it’s been fine. The mantel never returned to full open as before. Now for the past week it's been laying on it's side. Seems ok still highly reactive shuts quickly with just the sense of a shadow. Is this normal to be on it's side??:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What kind of clam is it?

4. christyf5

christyf5 Astrea Snail

Try to keep it propped up if possible. If you have a sandbed, put a snail shell just under the clam (in the sand) and place the clam overtop of it in the sand. If that doesn't work, try wedging the clam in between something to keep it propped up. You don't want any predators such as bristle worms or hermit crabs sneaking in the underside and having a snack.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well depending on the clam there are different course of action. Some clam like a sandy bottom (if so, maybe make a little sand bed for it to rest on higher up) some clams bore into the rock (you can put a rock in the sand and place the clam on it and hopefully it will attach). But usually it just needs to not be disturbed untill it is attatched.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Durasa and Squamosa clams like sandy bottoms whereas Maxima and Crocea prefer rocky areas with which to adhere to.

7. Dador

Thanks all!

Sorry this took so long. Dersa loves the empty snail shell and looks wonderful!!!:tongue4:

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Glad to hear! Keep us updated and if you can, post a picture.

Good Luck.

10. Dador

You guys are the greatest! thanks. I have triplets! ASAP I'll Post some Pics!:yelrotflm