My button polyps are brown?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by jeremy79, May 2, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeremy79

jeremy79 Astrea Snail

Hey, I am new to this website and thought these forums would help me with my reef questions. Well, I decided to try corals for the 1st time, went to the store and bought what I believe are button Polyps. They were bright green in the middle w/ brown edges. Got home, put them in tank and the green in the middle is going away. Today, there is only a spec of green, if that. they are all brown!!! Are they dying or is this normal? It looks very drab in my tank w. this brown creature in it. Thanks for any help!

2. Click Here!

3. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

What lighing do you have, what tank size, how long has it been up?

What lighting did your LFS have?

I assume that your LFS has Metal Halides and you are running PCs. It isn't uncommon to discolor a little bit, but that seems drastic. I'd say give it a few days and just let them be.

Also, where are they in your tank? Top, middle, bottom ?

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Depending on the lighting scheme, that you are running and that in which the pet shop where you purchased them from, you polyps coloration could vary!
    Kelvin and wattage can make a difference!
    What you have to be more concerned with is if they bleach, or the polyps don't open up all the way IMO!
    Try changing the placement of your polyps in a couple of weeks to see if the color intensifies!
    What were the lighting characteristics of the tank that you bought the polyps from and what lighting arrangement are you running(color/wattage?)

WELCOME to 3reef as well...best of luck with your tank! Looking forward to hearing more from ya!

5. jeremy79

jeremy79 Astrea Snail

Yeah, the lighting was Metal Halide and I have compact. My tank is 30 gal and they are in the middle. I was thinking of moving them, but didnt want to ruin their adjustment. I was just worried beacuse they are mostly brown now and wasnt sure if it was normal, but was going to wait a week or so to really panic! lol Thanks for the help!

6. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

Button Coral

My button coral are at mid range. They are brown & spreading nicely.