my blue berry gorgonian

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Peredhil, May 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I think I messed up a bit here. :-/

I thought I was ready to try a gorgonian. So I did a bit of research and decided I wanted to try the non-photosynthetic variety first. So I read up on these... in general.

My LFS is 90 minutes away, mostly in traffic. So I don't really know which non-photosynthetic gorgonian, if any, I'll be able to get. So I'll see if I like any that happen to be there.

And I do. A lovely blue one! So I bring it home and get it in the tank and all. Then I researched this specific one. Ugh. From what I've been reading, looks like this is the most difficult one out there and nobody has success with them. I shouldn't have bought it.

[​IMG]

I'm a bit irritated at the LFS for selling it... but I'm really irritated with myself. LFS won't take it back. So I am going to try it out and do my best.

Today I tried feeding.

So I gave it a little dose of DT Phytoplankton. Checked on it ten minutes later and it's mostly open. So I go ahead and deliver a full tsp in its midst.

It was like it closed up in a symphony. I'm guessing (only a guess) that this was it capturing its food.

My plan is to do this every 3 days - more or less. And see how it goes - adusting as I figure is needed.

Tips on this variety greatly appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I feed mine DT every three days or so. I think you are right on. I bought one also. They are not the easiest to care for, but we have a shot at it. I was just trying to find mine a good home in the rocks when I saw yours in the sand. I cannot believe it did not even occur to me. Guess where mine is going!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

looks good i wish you luck

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I don;t think it would matter what gorgonian you picked up - im pretty sure most die in captivity anyway due to the amount of flow and food they need (a bit like carnation) but good luck with it and enjoy it for the time being. It is very pretty!

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Awesome looking gorgonian. Good luck with it.

7. divott

divott Giant Squid

they are beautiful . i too did have one. did the operative word. lol. mine died after i had it for a few months. looked really good, then slowly withered away. and honestly, i shouldnt have gotten it. im too new and was above my reefing skills. but i would like to try again someday. best of luck with yours, i hope it really does well for you. and when i do go for it again. i will confer with either you or pharmr for care tips. best of luck fellows

8. Click Here!

9. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Oh wow, that is something else! Good luck with it!

10. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

That thing is beautiful!!!

I saw a bright yellow one at my LFS last weekend and opted not to buy it because I don't know a darned thing about gorgonians. Is that true they have a low captivity survival rate?

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I believe it is true, yes. Particularly the non-photosynthetic variety. I knew that when I bought it - that they were difficult. Apparently, from my reading, this species has the worst survival rate in captivity... I did not realize that when I bought it...

I am pretty sure it ate last night...

12. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

I just did a google investigation of gorgonian I saw last weekend. It was a yellow finger. A non-photosynthetic species of course. Good thing I didn't buy it. I'm too chicken to try one of these creatures.

Good luck with yours! I'll be following this thread so keep us updating with your progress.