My black knife ghost is acting funny...worried.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by cconcepts, Mar 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cconcepts

cconcepts Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have had a black knife ghost for a few months now. He was always fairly active, and he knew when feeding time was, he'd swim up to my finger and such before I fed him. He has a glass lantern in the tank thats his "cave" when he thinks he's hiding... Now what worries me is that about 3 days ago, my buddy gave me an OLD tank light for a 20 long. I was using a basically new light from a ten gallon until then. Anyways, I took off the 10 gal light, and put the 20 long light on the tank, and it was WAY WAY dimmer from the old bulb that was in it...Even gave the water a kinda yellow/green tint to it....Anyways,that light didnt stay on there for more than one day, so I swapped them back. BUT ever since I put that 20 long light and turned it on, the black knife has been hiding CONSTANTLY in his lantern cave, even though its been back to the original light for two days now....Even when feeding time comes around, he will only poke his head out to snatch up food and go right back in the lantern....What has caused his behavior change? Is he sick? Any ideas guys? He looks good, no visual sign of ich or anything....

2. Click Here!

3. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

I had a black ghost for years, unfortunately died not too long ago. Mine would have these "weird" occasions where he wouldn't feed from my fingers, and would stay hiding the whole time. I've had a few over the years and there personalties are never the same, some are active all the time, some just stay hiding. So if he looks fine and he's eating i wouldn't worry too much.

hope this puts you at ease, i love the black ghost. hated to see mine gone!

Mike

4. cconcepts

cconcepts Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks Mike, I think he will be ok, I just did a water test and the ph is 7.4 and ammonia is 1 ppm. Gonna do a partial water change and see what happens. Its just this is the first time he's acted like this in 3 months, thats why Im concerned....

5. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

I completely understand, I was the same way when i my first one started to act "weird". But he was fine after a little while.

Cheers