my beta is sick :(

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by lefty, Sep 6, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lefty

lefty Plankton

Hello all, I am new, and my fish is sad :(

My beta used to be blue, and beautiful, and have gorgeous fins (as betas ususally do). But he appears to be sick... I just took a really good look at him and he has virtually no top & bottom fins and it appears part of his tail has also disappeared.

Is there any hope for him? Sometimes he swims to the top and half-lays on his side.. I'll wave my hand at the tank and he'll start moving again, but he doesn't get nearly as excited as he used to. I've had him for about 6 months.

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Welcome to our family Lefty. ;D This is a good place to be and hopefully someone can answer your questions.

I'm sorry to hear about you little friend. Are you changing out his water weekly? I'm assuming he is in a vase - Right?  I had my beta for over 3 years. I think he just flat died of old age.  I bought a beta for our office a little while back and the girls promised they would change their water weekly and feed him everyday or at least every other day. He was in one of those vases with a peace plant. It wasn't long before his fins started looking yucky and I guess he died after a few months. I don't thing they had ever changed the water.  They wanted another beta and we have a new girl that works up front that loves betas and she has been feeding him and changing out his water and he looks beautiful. They've had him for about 3 weeks or so now.  His name is Fishstick!  

Be sure you are taking care of the water and use the drops to dechlorinate the water. I think some people use distilled water rather than tap water. Feed him one pellet daily. I don't go for this feeding them just once a week.

Let us know how your little fishie does.
    Good Luck!

Cindy

4. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

[quote author=lefty link=board=ASAP;num=1094518749;start=0#0 date=09/06/04 at 17:59:08]... he has virtually no top & bottom fins and it appears part of his tail has also disappeared.

...I'll wave my hand at the tank...[/quote]

Do you have other fish in the same tank? A lot of fish like to nip at the beta's fins. Betas are slow eaters too, they don't compete well for food.

If he's already by himself and his fins started rotting off that's most likely a water quality issue. Because of their reputation for being able to tolerate poor water quality and the misconception that they "like" to eat roots many betas become weak from malnutrition then succumb to bacteria and fungus.

If you get him out into his own bowl or vase and keep him warm and feed him some live food and keep the water clean he might have a chance.

Good luck, hope he makes it,

Ted

Click here brief profile of Beta splendens.

5. lefty

lefty Plankton

Thanks for your replies ;D

I was actually unaware that I should change the water weekly... when I got him I wasn't told it should be that often. But I will definitely do it now.

He is by himself in a vase... I read somewhere to keep them under a light when they're sick so I've had my desk lamp on all day in hopes he gets better. At least he's swimming around and doesn't look as depressed anymore.

I will have to take a trip to the pet store to get some essentials. :)

6. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

hey lefty, Here's another link that you might want to check out before you go to the pet store for those "essentials". Just be careful if you decide to medicate your fish, it's really important to make sure you dose properly. If you're not sure exactly how much water is in the vase then you need to find out before you add any medication to it.

Ted [smiley=wave.gif]

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

what size is your vase you have him in? most people keep them in little tiny containers or bowls. they shuld actually have at least 1 gallon of water. also one thing that always worked for me is i change about half the water when i do it. ive seen some get alged up by doing this i never had that problem. i would suggest the water changes also.