My Attempt at An Algae Scrubber With Pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dngspot, Nov 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. the purple grimace

the purple grimace Astrea Snail

I think scrubbers are cool,but there not the be all end all.I have one on my tank too,as far as design goes...who cares as long as it works and youre seeing the results you want.I think your design is sweet.so run with it.To be honest,I have light on one side and I clean the whole thing,none of this half side this week other half next week crap....I clean the whole thing.as long as alge grows on that and not in the main tank then Im cool.do I get a hell yeah!

2. Click Here!

3. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

I was away for a week and thought I would take a pick of the rock that would grow the most HA. Over all the tank has seen a noticeable reduction of HA and one of the last to let go is the rock I am about to show. To note, I have not manually removed any HA or changed anything that would remove the stuff. I have increased my feeding schedule but, this should only help grow more HA.

This rock was completely covered with HA that was at least 2 inches thick. In this before pic the Algae die off has already created a bald spot in the center.

[​IMG]

In this pic the rock is not completely clear but the improvement is clearly noticeable.

[​IMG]

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

This probably doesn't need to be said, but it is rewarding indeed when problems are taken care of at the root; rather than by masking a symptom. When existing algae thins out, dissapates, disappears, takes a hike--you pick the cliche--you can't have any stronger proof that you're addressing the main problem.

People often speak of putting blankets on tanks, or going lights out for a week or two, or manual removal of algae in the hopes of solving the problem. For algae issues, you must rob them of food. A scrubber is but a part of that equasion, but certainly an ally in the war.

There are so many facets of this hobby to be mastered; that when you get clear evidence of solving one problem, it's better than a friggin' birthday gift!!

Nice work, Dave! Ya did good!!

5. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

Thanks Sparky

I am glad to say the tank seems to be HA free. It was a tough battle but the algae scrubber seems to be a great success.

Here is that same rock with no HA.

[​IMG]

6. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

The tank is HA free. I have been fighting this for 3 years and this is the first time I can say my tank is HA free. This algae scrubber rocks!!! :beer:

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Tank looks great too!

8. Click Here!

9. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

Posted in the wrong thread...sorry

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  10. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

Did it again wrong thread

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  11. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Awesome project... I shall be following your thread!!