My Attempt at An Algae Scrubber With Pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dngspot, Nov 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

You need to get the light really close to the screen.. the closer the better ... and what type of light is it? Kelvin/power

2. Click Here!

3. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Hey dreiling, can you give exact description of these PC bulbs from HD? I've gone to 3 different HD's here in SD & there were like 2 products in the whole store with a kelvin rating on the box. Asking for help was a joke and I would of waited until after Christmas to get any answers.

Also, you guys gotta check out AV8's setup, especially his spray bar which seems to be where most of the frustration in building and getting a scrubber to work correctly comes from.:)

4. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

I built this box. It is not one of my best acrylic jobs but, it is for a scrubber and not for the display. This is my next attempt with the scrubber, now I need to find the tipping point.

[​IMG]

5. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

The tipping bucket is finished. I found the tipping point on the first try. I drilled two divots in the side of the bucket and used two nails to hold it. I then took it to the sink and started to fill it. It sits on an angle and as it fills it levels out. Then the thing dumps very quickly.
    I used 1/2 inch dowels to make the hinge and glass to make the pivot "V". And the divots are no longer visible. One down side is the hole I put in the side of the tank is no longer usable, because the top of the bucket is too high to fill from that level. I covered the hole with a square piece of glass. In the future I may replace the tank but, it will work for now.
    Pics to follow when the silicone dries and after work.

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I like the tipping bucket idea.

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Should be interesting. :)

8. Click Here!

9. CompulsiveAqua

CompulsiveAqua Astrea Snail

I have one of those!!

I started mine about 2 months ago and have yet to reach zero on my NO3....i heard that about 15 years ago some company in the hobby bought the patten on ATS...can anyone back that up?
    scruber 008.jpg

ats 022.jpg

ats 019.jpg

ats 009.jpg
    As far as lighting goes, HD has CFL 40 watt bulbs that put out 150 watts and are at 2700-3000K rating. My algae grows very fast.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  10. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

It is back up and running. I like the pivoting bucket much better. It dumps every 8 seconds. I had to cut a piece of glass to cover the bucket, when the bucket is dumping the stream of water splashes over the edge of the tank.
    I cut the hole to accept a 1 inch bulkhead fitting, this I will get tomorrow. I will also install a union too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

I found a 4200K bulb at 1000bulbs.com that will work. It cost 11.99, for that price I will try it.

Av, nothing personal but, that is one ugly avitar:-/

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish