My Attempt at An Algae Scrubber With Pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dngspot, Nov 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Very nice work, Dave! Look forward to seeing how it fares over time. Thanks for the great build thread. :)

2. Click Here!

3. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

And here she is finished with a light.

[​IMG]

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Looking great. I look forward to the results!

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I still don't get how the scrubber will work with a light on just one side, and so high up? You need to scrape half of it each week and leave the other half intact to continue growing. Does the screen lift out? I'm not trying to be negative, the concept is just very different from the one that I used.

6. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

looks great, I used a bio drip tray with water flowing over it on to rocks. To help get the algae seeded I used two layers of screen and a poly pad under them which I changed often because it was always full of insects and stuff. Also used old power compacs that were originally 10,000 k but were yellow by the time they got to the scrubber. I also got Pc 4,000 k bulbs from home depot. The stuff grew fast.

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

It's often discussed how old lights which have fallen out of spectrum, create light that better suited for algal growth. I wonder if an algae scrubber would be an application where these old lights should be sought??

Very nice build, dngspot. I can't quite make it out, but is the algae mat still on an angle to facilitate water flowing over from inlet to outlet? I think I noticed in the original pic's up top it was this way.

8. Click Here!

9. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

Yes it is at an angle, I think to move water down to the opposite end may be the reason the unit at the top of the thread is built like that.
    As for the lights I think you are right.

10. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good luck! I think as is you should see some benefits. I look forward to any refinements you make.

I've had similar thoughts... I have kept a power-compact fixture with old lamps around for my new refugium.. not sure how that idea holds up, but I have had it too.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

You'd be better off just buying some grow lights in the 3-6k range.