My Aquatic Experience, Chicago, IL (Da Bears!)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by zesty, Nov 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Well, this was my second time to the Aquatic Experience (AE) and it has grown since the first year. I think I was drawn into the booths before I could stop and get a picture of the entire event. I was there on the last day Sunday and it was still very busy.

Walking around, I still get awestruck by all the equipment, lights, food, salt, fish, corals, people, beer err, I mean concessions. For me it's the excitement of what is going to be here that's going to be new/exciting or something I haven't even heard of!

Well, I was able to stop at a few places that caught my eye. One of them was a personal agenda to check some LEDs for my upcoming upgrade ;) So, selfishly, that's where I'm going to start. However,

The first time I saw this company was the first Aquatic Experience and then Matt Rogers also showed off their carbon fiber enclosure version of their lights here on 3reef. I started to take notice of their lights and read some info on their website and got very interested. https://reefledlights.com/
    They are Sixth Element Systems (formerly reefledlights) and they approach LEDs from a different perspective. They are pushing LEDs to new levels; levels like 2606 PAR at 12", um say what? :shocked: I saw a few double takes at the number. This light was BRIGHT!! The light was reading 1100 at 40%, people kept watching it go up and up and up and I thought it was up higher, but my picture only said 2606 :D
    This is pushing power over a 400W radium MH at 144W (at full power) and is able achieve a spectrum optimized for coral growth and color rendition. The lights are controlled by the Storm Controller by Coralux, which will be built in the final unit.

Each fixture covers approximately 24″ x 24″ with enough PAR to keep our clams happy on the sand bed!
    Includes:
    Primary top of the line quality Cree LEDs w Optics are there for the simple fact of growing coral, that's their first priority.
    Supplemental Spectrum LEDs arranged in seven clusters of three with each color having its own dedicated channel for ultimate color control!

• Blue
    • Red
    • Green
    9 independent channels for FULL color control and temperature control! The fans will only run when the unit gets above a certain temperature, extending their lifespan.

I really really dug what these guys had going on, no other company I've seen/heard of is approaching in ways they are. They were serious about making the best light out there, it wasn't just a bunch of new colors of LEDs thrown together. The light is focused first and foremost on growing coral and then let's not forget how we want them to look to us. This is the part that got me hooked, take the controller and remember those red, green and blue lights listed? Well, the controller will let you mix them to suit any color you want or change to custom setup profiles (see below) the limit is, well as much as you can mix red, blue and green!

I am obviously a little excited about this company! They aren't afraid to talk to you, they don't talk down to you with techno jargon that you are supposed to know. They are (extreme) hobbyists that couldn't find what they wanted. So, they teamed up and made it! They are from Illinois, their team is put together with engineers, electrical/mechanical and manufacturing background. The finished unit will have a sturdy chassis but the display unit I held was solidly put together, craftsmanship you don't find everyday, but not heavy enough to need 2 hands. They aren't buying anything and just slapping it together, everything being manufactured/built is done so with parts they have designed themselves for the best product. IMO, watch these guys, they are on to something here...

There has been no other unit with this type of arrangement in the hobby until now.

I'll stop typing and let some pictures do some talking :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The SIRIUS XTC by Sixth Element Systems
    [​IMG]
    The SIRIUS XTC by Sixth Element Systems

So, once I pulled myself away... I had to adjust my eyes from looking at the LEDs! :eek:

I found a nice soothing orange booth and away I went.

Well, I ended up at ZeroEdge Aquariums, another Illinois vendor. They make acrylic over the top aquariums, pun intended. http://zeroedgeaquarium.com/
    I've seen one of their tanks on a frequent basis as there is one at my LFS and I always stop and look at it. However, what really caught my eye was their mountain of custom acrylic sumps.

Here is the next conference table I am going to propose at work!
    [​IMG]

Some info, I got from their website:
    ZeroEdge Series 7 Sumps have been designed to mitigate or eliminate these issues and challenges including: micro bubbles and pump cavitation, salt creep, and ample room for filter components.

Manufactured with high quality 1/4″ and 3/8″ cast acrylic materials and CNC fabricated parts, Series 7 Sumps include spill over sock chambers with emergency overflows in order to provide aquarists with a solution for common challenges found with standard reef keeping.

Unlike other brands in the market, ZeroEdge Series 7 Sumps come standard with the following:
    • Lids for sock chambers to prevent splashing and provide soundproofing
    • Spill over sock chambers with emergency overflows (This is really nice!)
    • 7″ 200 micron filter socks
    • Bulk heads and internal perforated drain pipe
    • Sponge block filter media
    • Adjustable weir plate (4″ – 9″) for water height adjustment in skimmer compartment
    • Probe holders attached to adjustable weir plate for added convenience
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very well built!
    [​IMG]

So, what better to follow ZeroEdge Aquariums with Beyond the Reef and their custom made ZeroEdge Aquarium. I've seen this tank before and I'm glad to get a picture of it this time. If you can't find the overflow, look for the bag that's holding a customer's purchase in the overflow. You might not see it, but "Beyond the Reef" is engraved into the acrylic overflow, remember the overflow that pumps water up and over. It's one of these tanks that I am realizing I didn't take a good enough picture or you just need to see it with your own eyes, it's that cool.

http://www.beyondreef.com/index.php/
    This is a LFS to the chicagoland area. Here are a few details to note from their webpage:
    Beyond The Reef, Inc. opened its doors in August of 1998. We are one of Chicagoland’s premier saltwater retailers. Our store is solely devoted to the saltwater aquarium enthusiast.
    Our 2,400 square foot facility contains over 4,000 gallons of fish, corals, invertebrates and live rock from all around the world. We offer a large selection of tanks and stands, drygoods, supplies, and a complete line of high tech equipment including filters, skimmers, and lighting systems.

[​IMG]

Ok, getting out of state now. I walked past and the action of this tank made me stop and investigate! Well, I stopped to take a closer look. I'm glad I did!
    https://www.proaquatix.com/
    I like their saying "We breed and raise marine ornamentals like it’s our job." Well, a quick look at their website, they have an amazing breeding setup.

[​IMG]

Gorgeous Neon Dottyback, gorgeous clowns and a Blue Neon Goby checking me out. I am missing a great clown picture I took (I'll have to update)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

**Edit** to add the clown pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, next I was walking by West Mariculture and they make... yeah, you guessed it, live reef-rock/live sand all your rock/sand/DSB needs right here. What really caught my eye was the shapes and the frag plug holes that were all over once I started looking at the rocks. Some of them were drilled for extra frags, some were more natural looking holes perfect for putting a frag plug into. Plus, the pedestal rock shapes were very nice and diverse. They have an ebay store here http://stores.ebay.com/ecoreefsand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I almost, almost walked out with the purple skull here! I could envision some red planet frags for eyes, GSP for some hair. Or some red planet as horns, my imagination was getting the best of me here! :D
    [​IMG]

The Bashsea booth; how could you not stop? http://www.bashsea.com/ or http://poseidonconstruction.com/
    The column tank, I'm sure, got a lot of people's attention! It did mine. The sculpture inside was very well done and looked better in person than these pictures do justice.
    [​IMG]

These guys make it all, they make it and they make it with style and performance in mind. There was nothing but high quality products at their booth. The guys looked a bit exhausted by the time I made it over there. They looked like they had a busy weekend; which I can see why.
    [​IMG]

Jim's Reef was there, a welcomed sight I see at most of the frag swaps I've been to. http://www.jimsreef.com/
    I've bought numerous frags from Jim in the past and he has some nice stuff! As well as a very nice guy.
    I didn't get a picture of his frags, every time I walked by it was crowded; a good problem to have if you were Jim.
    The picture I wanted to share is of Jim standing on some reef rock held together with A+B Eco Putty. Proof in the pudding if you want a sturdy scape, this picture will leave you with confidence of achieving just that.

[​IMG]

Eye Candy Time!

Does Jason Fox need an introduction or picture or just want to see the frags? That's what I thought.

Notice that acan rock in the back? I'm lucky I had restraint, cause he told me he'd let that rock go at $300!
    [​IMG]

Then my girlfriend asked about this little guy. Probably just about the size of my thumbnail... I told her to ask the price, I wanted to see her jaw drop. Well, after she found the price, she said I'd have better luck trying to get the acan rock. hahaha! (she wasn't laughing)
    Freakin gorgeous piece!
    [​IMG]
    More...
    [​IMG]

Another tank I was walking by and this blackspotted puffer was just hanging around. I felt he was lonely, so I went to say hi and snap a pic. He is really neat looking, and scary once you look at his chompers!!
    [​IMG]
    The scolys.... drooooool
    [​IMG]

This could or could not be a ZeroEdge Aquarium. The ZE aquariums I've seen have a nice rounded fillet on the edge. Either way, this was a very cool setup with a colorful variety of clowns.
    [​IMG]

As much of a reefhead I am, there were plenty for for the freshwater side as well. I only snapped a few pictures, but there were a lot of high end freshwater equipment and vendors here.
    [​IMG]

I didn't have a pano lens, so I couldn't get the entire Florida Tropical Fish Farmers display in view. Well, it went further right and left from what you see here.
    http://www.ftffa.com/

[​IMG]

The Florida Tropical Fish Farms Association is a trade Association of professional ornamental tropical fish and aquatic plant breeders, the mission of which is to represent its members in governmental matters, provide a cooperative for purchasing necessary materials to produce member products, and support research and development for the production of ornamental species.

The Association does not breed fish or grow plants, if you are looking for a supplier please use our Member Directory find and contact the farms directly.

I knew I would walk away with some frags. That's kinda a given... :cool: However, I didn't know that my lucky number would be picked out of one of the hundreds of raffles they have. I won a box of Real Reef Rock and check out the hookup I got...
    [​IMG]
    I actually tried to win this the first time I went there! Funny I win it the second time! Nice live rock, this will make some great additions to my upcoming upgrade.
    http://realreefrock.com/

Last but not least, this event wouldn't be possible without the help from the World Pet Association http://www.worldpetassociation.org/

Hope you all enjoyed the read! I really needed the 2 days to cover the majority of the event, I only got a tip of the iceberg here. I wasn't expecting that, however it means this event is growing and that is good!

Zesty

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    Billme and Matt Rogers like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. JOHNMD

JOHNMD Astrea Snail

I was there on Sunday as well, planned on going Saturday but had some stuff come up, Got some great ideas for a future reef a lot of nice gadgets & live stock to look at. Did buy a gorgeous Rose Bubble tip from Beyond the reef of course after I put it in my tank it disappeared behind a rock, hopefully it comes back out into the light soon.

Great show looking forward to next year when I'll be ready for a new reef :)

Corailline and zesty like this.
  4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I forgot to say that if anyone wants to add pictures, feel free!

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What can we add to this? zesty you knocked this one out of the park!
    What great pics and a great write-up. Love the new Reef LED light too.
    Was the shark tank there this year? How was the raffle?

Do you feel like traveling more in 2015? :) This is worth more than a couple 3reef shirts buddy. Great job.

matt

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Thanks Matt! I'm glad to have done this, it was fun and I would LOVE to do more!! This was really fun and I enjoyed doing this!

I do love to travel...

Corailline and Matt Rogers like this.
  7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

oh yeah, they did have the shark tank! They had some other events or kids, an entire area for them to play around with water, etc and the tank decorating contest is awesome! I do like how they take some time to make sure the kids are entertained, it's important to show them (on their level) why we are so addicted to this hobby...

JOHNMD and Matt Rogers like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

GREAT write up Zesty! thanks so much for sharing! congratulations on the raffle prize! that stuff will look really sweet in a cube tank :)

zesty likes this.
  10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Raffle was huge, as was that shark tank :) I so wanted to put a "do no touch" sign on the touch tank.... just to troll :lol:

Attendance was up this year as well. I never got firm numbers, but I' suspecting in the 4500+ range. Next years event (actual space size) is supposed to be larger and I suspect attendance will be larger.

zesty and Matt Rogers like this.
  11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You would do that with the touch tank G. :) That is a good turnout. I'll definitely check it out again next year. This year snuck up on me. Did you take any pics?

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Really impressed Zesty, I enjoyed the write up very much, so much so I going to give a couple reads. Nicely done!

zesty likes this.