My Alk Seems High

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Chris Jones, Jun 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

I just did a 10% water change, added a 8.3pH buffer, waited about an hour and tested my water.
    Temp-81-82
    SG-1.027
    pH-8.24
    Ammonia- Free <.05, total <.05
    nitrite- 0
    nitrate- <.05
    Ca- 450-500
    Alkalinity- 5-5.5 meq

It looks like the Alkalinity is high, but the pH buffer said it will raise the alk by 1meq. is this temporary and tomorrow should be 4-4.5 or what??? i'm not real clear how to control the alkilinity.

I have the two part B-Ionic Alk/Ca buffer system, and i'm not sure what adding this does to my chemistry. what should i see increase or decrease when i add.???
    thanks for your patience.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Chris I wouldn't add any buffers right after doing a water change personally. I think that's a bit too much at once and it's hard to know what you should be adding since you just did a water change.

Testing an hour afterward would give you some skewy results too I suspect.

I'd go 2 days after a water change at least to let things mix and settle in.

Matt

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Chris,

Your Alk is not too high at all in regard to the ratio of Calc ( refer to chart in Chemistry forum )

I any case, like Matt advised it's far to early to get a stable reading so check again in a few days :)

John

5. Chris Jones

Thanks guys. Yeah I remember reading about the relationship with calcium and alk. just wanted to be sure.

John, or anyone, can you tell me what i am actually adjusting with B-Ionic?? when I should add?? and what readings will it affect and which way. just trying to get a grip.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

My understanding is that B-Ionoc ( and other 2 part additives ) are meant to be an easy way of maintaining Alkalinity and Calcium by simply adding equal parts at regular intervals.

My advice to you Chris is to just stop for a while, don't do any water changes ( unless neccessary ) and measure your alk and calc every 2 days or so over 3 to 4 weeks and write down the readings. By simply doing that you should be able to get a grip on the depletion rates of Alk and Calc ( if any ). Once you have that info you can work out a maintenance routine that suits the tank. If you don't do this sort of thing you are really just adding "stuff" blindly and will eventually make a mistake.

John

7. Chris Jones

Noted and filed. That just makes sense. Thanks for the advice. you remember when you were just starting out, I just am testing the hell out of the water, and worrying , thats all. thanks for the check.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Chris,

Don't add any of that buffer cr@p. It will throw everything out of wack and does not last which could stress the fish out as it goes down then back up.

The B-Ionic is calcium and alk additive or buffer if you will.
    If you reading get high just let it sit and you will need to test and once your test reading are correct then continue adding. You may have been adding to much so you may want to tapper off on the dose some till you get the correct balance and knowing the exact amount your system needs every day. Once balanced everything will fall inline.

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Ben Dover link=board=Water;num=1086230885;start=0#5 date=06/04/04 at 03:10:42]Noted and filed. That just makes sense. Thanks for the advice. you remember when you were just starting out, I just am testing the hell out of the water, and worrying , thats all. thanks for the check.[/quote]

No worries Chris,

I do remember when I started and yes, I tested everything constantly LOL. I still have a huge box full of old test kits and a heap of junk that I bought which turned out useless.

If you get a chance ask Matt how the Bucket forum got its name :)

John

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Actually the B-Ionic system rates pretty well. :)

Is this the right link Dave? It seems to just compare the different methods rather than setting up a schedule.

John