My 90 Gallon FO build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by jmik26, Oct 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmik26

jmik26 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I liquid nailed and wood glued the whole thing together :-[.

I estimate it would cost around $14 in 2x4's to rebuild, not to bad. In the old design I ate up some room on the bottom shelf by putting the extra 2x4's. With the new design the legs are directly under the top frame which is nice. The only problem I have is keeping the top frame attached to the legs. I think I am going to use 1/2" ply wood to line the whole inside and extend it to the top frame like the attached picture. After looking at the $800 stand the LFS wanted me to buy this is leaps and bounds over the structural integrity of that. What do you guys think?... Jeff

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. jmik26

Went this morning and picked up the wood. Got started on the stand and I really like the way it turned out. I ended up building a pocket into the one end for all my Reef Keeper components and 2 power strips. All that left to do is put on a couple coats of white paint to the inside. What do you guys think?

I am really dreading draining 90 gallons :-/....

Attached Files:

4. jmik26

One more...

Attached Files:

5. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Looks good. I dont think you will have anything to worry about once you switch it over.

6. jmik26

The live rock made short work of the tail end of my cycle. I know what I will be using on my Biocube when I set it up 8).

I switched over the stand on Monday, thank god everything went smooth. Water chemistry has been good for a week or so. Today I went to get a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty. I also started treating the tank with copper and will maintain it as extra protection.

Attached Files:

• CB.jpg
      CB.jpg
      File size:
      181.3 KB
      Views:
    • FA.jpg
      FA.jpg
      File size:
      126.9 KB
      Views:
    • IMG_2132.JPG
      IMG_2132.JPG
      File size:
      291.1 KB
      Views:
    • WC1.JPG
      WC1.JPG
      File size:
      121.5 KB
      Views:
  7. get.grounded

get.grounded Feather Duster

looks great! cant wait to see it progress. stand came out nice.

8. Click Here!

9. jmik26

New addition to the tank last night, Barney the Porcupine Puffer... Jeff

Attached Files:

• PP.jpg
      PP.jpg
      File size:
      205.9 KB
      Views:
  10. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

the final picture looks like aptansia (can never spell it right) you might want to kill it, but idk if it will matter because its a FO tank.

11. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

looks good, nice to see someone make a FO instead of a reef. Are you still planning on keeping all the fish on the list?... I see a couple of problems with it; like the emperor angelfish(one of my favorite fishes) will get too big for the tank, and I think three angels is too many since they become aggressive towards each other. The humu and the clown trigger will become very aggresive and might injure other fish, not to mention the clown will get too big, really fast. I've heard filefish are hard fish to keep because they stop eating, which will be made worse if kept with triggers. Also, that seems like a lot of fish for a 90 gallon tank. Good luck though.

12. jmik26

I searched for it on 3 reef but didn't come up with anything excpet this post? Google wants to send me to aptana? Is it a disease? Algae?

The list was a wish list basically, any of them would have done. I have been warned about some of the same things, filefish being tough to keep, pick one of the triggers, etc.... So, right now I have the list at:
    1. Flame Angel
    2. Coral Beauty
    3. Porcupine Puffer
    4. Yellow Tang
    5. Blue Face Angel
    6. Clown Trigger

I think this would be pretty good. I have been told that the Flame will not bother the Blue Face? If he does it will be a 15min ride to the LFS to trade him in... If the fish become to big It will be a good reason to upgrade my tank 8). Thanks for the info... Jeff