My 75g Tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Grotto, Feb 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Grotto

Grotto Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

This is my first post on 3reef, so for starters hello! :)

These are some pictures of my recently set up 75g soon to be reef tank. The tank was first up and running with water (RO/DI) and salt (Instant Ocean) on 01-22-08. It has a built in overflow box, with a DIY 29g sump that I made sitting underneath.

Heres a picture of my RO/DI unit, located in the bathroom next to my tank.

[​IMG]

Also, the stand was a DIY project built by me, it's nothing fancy or pretty to look at but it sure is strong. I built it with free spare wood from a golf course I work at, all the supplies and paint were free of charge making the stand cost a grand total of $0.00 :)

Heres a picture of the overflow from behind the tank.

[​IMG]

Heres a picture of the plumbing underneath the tank.

[​IMG]

So far I've got about 40 lbs of base rock in the tank, with 1 piece of good live rock that I got from my LFS. I used 80 lbs of Aragonite reef grade sand for the bottom, and I put another 30 lbs of live sand bought from the store in the sump. I added a single yellow-tail damsel to the tank on 01-31-08 for the cycle.

Heres a picture of the fuge portion of the sump, without the 30 lbs of live sand.

[​IMG]

With the live sand in there is a 4-5 inch sand bed, and I plan to put Chaeto Algae in this chamber around the beginning of March. First i have to get the okay from Tangster, he's been walking me through the process since day one and has taught me so much!, a special thanks to him thats for sure! :)

Here is a picture of my yellow-tail.

[​IMG]

So far he's been very happy and healthy living in the tank during the cycle, I have yet to see any ill effects.

As I said i used 1 piece of good live rock from my LFS, heres a picture of that.

[​IMG]

The rest of the rock is base rock that I saved and bleached from my old saltwater tank that I disassembled 2 years ago. Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

I used snail shells completely coated in Carolline algae to help seed this base rock, I placed them all over. A guy from my LFS gave these too me free of charge from a well established tank there.

[​IMG]

Here are a few more pictures of the sump, the return chamber is to the far right, and in the middle is the are that houses my skimmer and heater. The skimmer is not on however, I won't skimm the water for the first 12 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also am only running blue lights during the cycle, but only for a few hours every other day.

Finally here are a few full shot pictures and a Tank shot to show the aqua scape.

Tank Shot with Stand open,

[​IMG]

Full shot of the Sump,

[​IMG]

And Tank Shot :)

[​IMG]

Thanks again 3reef for letting me be apart of your community :)

Thank you Otty, for convincing me to post and for re-lighting my fire with your amazing tank thread!

And a special thanks to Tangster, thank you for everything you've taught me so far and thank you for saving me from making many mistakes! Also, thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me, I look forward to talking to you soon.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>>>> Nice lookin setup!!!! Nice pics....

1 person likes this.
  4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

" And the Emmy goes to..................Grotto". J/k Thats a great set-up and with Tangster and Otty by your side, you cant go wrong. I wish they(and this web-site) where around when I started in this hobby 20yrs ago. Good luck and keep the pics coming, I :drool: over them.;D

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  5. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

love the tank gl hope it goes good for ya.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

To 3Reef!!!
    Salutations! Glad to see you found way here!
    Beautiful setup. Good job!
    Will be great to watch it develop.
    Keep us posted!
    "Om"
    [​IMG]
    "Reef on"​

[​IMG]

The Tao of Marine Aquaria
    Tips for Our Hobby and Life

© 1997 Adam H. Whitlock
    Edited By Elizabeth M. Lukan 11/25/00

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Glad I finally got to see some pics of your piece of the ocean. Job well done my friend. Keep up the good work and just take your time, life goes by fast enough. ;D

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

That looks awesome!! Got quite the setup goin! Good luck with everything!

10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

well done

1 person likes this.
  11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Nice! Welcome to 3reef!

1 person likes this.
  12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

Tank looks Great