My 55gal Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by -Bubbler-, Apr 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. -Bubbler-

-Bubbler- Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello everyone!

I just got my 55 gallon saltwater set up after much "tire kicking" and research(gobs of it). The tank was set up as freshwater for over a year and I finally decided to dive in! I bought a marineland 37gallon set up with LED light fixture, to transfer my freshwater fish to and that is up and running fine.

I took a trip to Drs. Foster and Smith's retail store in Rhinelander, WI about two weeks ago with my grocery list of items that I needed. Picked up 60 lbs of Carrib-sea live sand, a 108watt Wave Point T-5 HO fixture, (2) 200 gallon Instant Ocean salt mix boxes, a refractometer, and some other miscellaneous goodies that I was running out of. Then placed an order with John at Reef Cleaners for 50lbs of Florida Reef rock(dry rock) and also placed an order at saltysupply.com for my protein skimmer, an Aquamaxx HOB unit. Received both those orders yesterday, so I promptly began my tank set up!

After some practice with mixing up salt, I finally figured out proper quantities and mixed up my water to a sg of 1.023. Got my bags of sand in and about 15 gallons of water, then started up on the rockwork. Just finished up and got everything but the skimmer up and running. Now I'm ready to start cycling! Feel free to chime in with advice and pointers, I know I'll need some help in the near future.
    Here's a few pictures of my set up(I know how ya'll love em!)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. -Bubbler-

Some more pics

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

tank looks awesome, love the blue glow

5. -Bubbler-

Thanks!! It gives the whole room a blue hue to it, so much brighter than my boring ol' single tube fixture that was on the freswater tank!

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

...looks awesome, Bubbler! What brand fixture is the T5 light? I love the blue, BTW. Nic 'scape too. :)

7. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

Lookin good! Maybe a little more rock?

Are you planning on seeding with some LR? It will help cycle the tank and get some good growth going.

8. Click Here!

9. s76rick

s76rick Flamingo Tongue

Rock work looks awesome! Good luck with the rest of the build.

10. Raudrive

Raudrive Astrea Snail

Your 55 is looking great. I will be watching your project progress. What do you plan to put in it? Your skimmer and filtration are so simple compared to so many other sumps.

Good luck,
    Rick

11. -Bubbler-

Thanks! It's a Wave Point twin tube fixture with 1 10000K bulb and 1 460nm actinic bulb

12. -Bubbler-

I would like to seed it, but around this area there really isn't anywhere close that has any live rock, so I would have to order from somewhere. There is a guy I know that has a saltwater tank, I may talk with him and see if I could get a chunck of rock from him.