My 20L Mantis

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by United417, Apr 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. United417

United417 Bristle Worm

Hello everybody, have had my 5 gallon tank set up since early december and never really made a thread for it on here, so here we go!
    Its a standard 5 gallon tank, for a small mantis species (initially planned on N. Wennerae or G. Smithii) and a few nondemanding corals. The tank was slow taking off due to being in my third year at Ohio University and being absolutely broke. slowly bought corals and rock, and a CUC. Have 6 lbs of LR, and 2 HOB refugiums are my only filtration, small heater and a UP aqua LED fixture. Pics of the tank are in an album in my photos(im currently at work and dont have pics on the comp to upload up here) i finally got the shrimp two days ago, my gf surprised me with an early birthday gift and bought me a shrimp!it is unidentified, but hope to find out soon! will try to do a better job keeping this up to date, thanks for checkin it out!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

Your tank reminds me of my tank for some reason I like it. Although I am jealous I don't have a mantis.. however I have a tank full of mantis food... LOL. Grats on the gift and the awesome lady! Love the frags! Mine are starting to grow myself.

Did he bash anything to death yet?!

5. United417

United417 Bristle Worm

thanks for the compliments!lol ya it was massive, i have since gotten a much smaller one..and yes she is a keeper;D trust me i let her know all the time!

Thanks vawdka!lol i understand about the mantis food, i love dropping the snails in knowing that they will be demolished:p my frags have been taking their jolly old time to grow, but they seem to all be doing well!so hopefully that trend continues..and yes he did bash!i assisted him, cuz it was a relatively large crab, so i cracked the shell a bit, threw him back in the tank and within minutes the mantis had smacked him in the mouth a few times and the crab was no more:cheesy: Thanks for all the replies and comments!

6. United417

United417 Bristle Worm

heres another pic until i get some time to take a bunch more and a few videos.

Attached Files:

7. United417

United417 Bristle Worm

there are stripes visible here on the raptorial appendage, these stripes continue the entire length of the shrimp.ill be sure to try and get more pics, including one of the meral spots, but up until this point he or she hasn't exactly flaunted them.nonetheless i shall not be deterred!

8. Click Here!

9. United417

United417 Bristle Worm

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kiiKtHIMnUc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

11. United417

United417 Bristle Worm

much appreciated!!and yes the thread did help out tremendously. been busy and havent really had time to update the thread. mantis is doing well, reclusive but coming out more and more. picked a few more zoa frags, but lost one due to my obscene amount of pods. so i picked up a tiny clownfish, under an inch (i plan on upgrading the tank late june/early july to a 20L at least) and am hoping he/she will be able to annihilate some pods!ill try to keep this better updated!thanks for checkin in

12. United417

United417 Bristle Worm

well i havent updated my thread in ages, been very busy with school and work. so heres a few pics!mantis is thriving in its little paradise. hope you all enjoy!

Attached Files: