My 1200 gallon!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by cosmo, Mar 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Love the butterfly koi!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Very cool! Koi are awesome fish.

1 person likes this.
  4. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

learn to catfish!

I would love to live in florida and have a salt water pond.... just saying

1 person likes this.
  5. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Sweet pond. We always had trouble keeping fish in our pond. I Figured the raccoon's were probably filching them for the longest time. Caught a great blue heron in the act one day and the mystery was solved. Pretty cool though having our pond used as an avian rest stop. Your koi bring in any visitors to the pond?

6. tom.n.day

Heron's are EXTREMELY territorial outside of breeding. If you get a Heron statue they will stay away

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Had a raccoon issue 3 years ago, black lab solved that! Then I had a redtail hawk go through my 4 biggest koi in a week, fake owl solved that! Now I have alot of bats that fly around, but I put up a Bathouse, so they're welcome! My boy wants to get a duck, but thinking they'll eat my fish!

8. Click Here!

9. Moxtrain

Heron statues are only a tiny bit as fun as the real thing though. I ended up digging that pond much much deeper for my mother. I'm betting by now only the smart fish are left. Cross breeding and creating super goldfish....

10. Moxtrain

I'd think ducks should be ok. They mostly eat snails and grassy stuff. I've never run across any fish bones in their stomachs anyway. I figured our dogs would keep the raccoons away too but their sneaky little gits. That and our dogs were lazy. Loud but lazy.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yeah I'm curious about trying it! The only other issue is the dog an cat! Not sure the poor thing would survive them both!

Might try though!

12. tom.n.day

ducks are ok, except maybe with the lab!

I raised ducks/chickens and breed them for 15 years. If you dog will leave them alone, I would get some runner ducks on rouens. Although, the ducks will absolutely trash your pond. They are messy messy animals. Your son would have fun with it though. Better to get him a turkey, they make much better pets