Mussels In The Aquarium

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by 55gfowlr, Jul 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

And forgive me, I botched up the name on the title, so now it is the "Mussels, and Oysters" in the aquarium.....Enjoy

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

LOL. You are right sir. Also, mussels and oysters tend to like cooler water.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Entirely depends on where they came from and species. There are plenty of tropical mussels that live in tropical conditions.

5. ComputerJohn

True. I live in Massachusetts and always think of native Atlantic shellfish normally. ;)

6. ComputerJohn

Though I have never seen mussels or oysters for sale in the reefing world normally.

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

My experiance with mussels is that they will slowly borrow themselves in your rock, somehow I feel like they can eat away the calcium and create a hole for them to borrow in. I've had to rip out a few mussel shells from the insides of my larger live rocks. I have found two or three small brown clams on my rock along with a few live oysters or mussels (they are small and have white crusty shells) they are cool to look at when they open but also boring

8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

The ones in the photos are Florida mussels, I have the temp set to stay around 76, all water levels are in good range, I'm sure they are used to colder waters that we do get here, but also can stand the very hot summers too. They were simply an experiment turned permanent resident. If I did throw em out now I wouldn't take the long drive back to the beach to do so, they would land in my back yard, but for the time they aren't causing any harm, and I hope they even clean out the water a little bit.

10. millera1984

millera1984 Plankton

Hey, I'm from MS coast too, and I actually found this thread because I was thinking about putting local oysters in my tank. Did you ever actually try this? Right now I'm just wondering where I can find some healthy live oysters if anyone knows.

11. ComputerJohn

Just be careful of bringing unwanted additions into your tank as hitchhikers.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

12. marino13

marino13 Plankton

oysters

I have seven oysters on my LR. I have some coral in my tank that I just started up its a 125 gallon. I was wondering if the oysters were harmful to my tank?