mushrooms

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by CommDiver, Jul 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CommDiver

CommDiver Plankton

new at this kinda stuff.....got some shrooms and they did very well....and now they don't look so hot....can they die and how would you know? I have a 55 gal. with a 48" cp light. 2 10k and 2 actinic. 2 damsles. 1 yellow tang. two powerheads. a hang on filter with live rock in it. thers about 35 lbs of rock in the tank. with a 2.5" sand bed. I dose with kent marine microverst, Iodide, Purple Tech, Teck I, and API's algafix. No Nitrate, No Phosphate, Kh is 10, Calciume is 400, pH is 8.4 (it looks like it). Had Red slime but its almost gone, o yeah I had some blue zoos die too damn it...Any Help out there?????

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

commdiver

do you have an Iodine test kit?
    purple tech - if its a Purple up type product and the name makes me assume it is
    then you might be dosing Iodine / iodide with that product and also individually

Iodide is harmfull in excess QTYs - you might want to get a test kit or ask your LFS to test that level

if the shrooms start splitting into half or opening a hole in the centre, IME they are not going to be around long and its often a water quality issue

what other corals/ fish do you have in the tank?

a general rule of thumb / principle is "Dont dose any chemicals that you are not testing for"

also just in case , get a copper test done on your water as this is another chemical that can kill things in reef tanks

Steve

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Great advice, I also think that your over dosing on Iodine. Your dosing Iodine and Purple up, which both have Iodine. I recommed a or 2 WC and stop dosing those two elements.

Luna

5. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

Sounds like your dosing a lot of things... which arent fully necessary.
    Get good test kits and only dose what you need. Recommend a regular two part

6. CommDiver

CommDiver Plankton

Roger that...Thanks....I have a fetherduster and it looks like it got a hair cut????.....and I tried Xenias but they didn't work....I use culligan RO water from store with water changes....I have a reef master test kit but guess its not testing enough... thanks again for all the help and hopefully I'll start to understand...