Mushrooms dying I think?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by JayLloyd73, Dec 5, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JayLloyd73

JayLloyd73 Astrea Snail

I am new too the reef tank have had plenty of fish only tanks before. I had bought a rock with about 4 green mushrooms on it and another unknown mushroom. The Mushrooms did fine for a week or so staying open, I went on vacation for 5 days when I came back 2 of the mushrooms have decentegrated and the others have shrunk to just about nothing. I have noticed however that there are new little sand sized green dots forming on the rock. Are these green dots juveniles? My xenia is doing fine and growing. My nitrites are zero nitrates are a little high need to do water change, and my ph was a little low 7.8, which I corrected and brought up to 8.3 today. Could my nitrate and ph level cause the mushrooms to decentegrate and shrink to nothing was curious as the xenia is doing great.

2. Click Here!

3. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Becareful with PH as it can read different during different times of the day and is usually lower at night with no lights.

Mushrooms are suppose to be one of the easiest coral and i have had no luck with them, so i can not give you any tips there. Xenia, i am great with as i took 2 and now have over 100.

1 person likes this.
  4. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

to my experience PH can have that effect on mushroom, bring your PH up and they should be better in the days to come.

1 person likes this.
  5. JayLloyd73

JayLloyd73 Astrea Snail

I did bring up the ph last night so hopefully that does it. So are the green dots new mushrooms?

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef!!!
    I don't think that they are daughter shrooms...I would need to see a picture. Mushrooms reproduce either by cel division(splitting in half) or by fusion(moving from one spot to another while leaving a small piece of itself behind, to become a daughter mushroom). They usually leave a good size of their foot behind about the size of a dime or so to. How high are your nitrates? Shrooms will absorb some nitrates through their epidermal layer. They require moderate lighting for vivid coloration and low water flow.
    You may have something that is eating them.
    How strong a lighting presentation are you using? When did you last do a water change?

1 person likes this.
  7. JayLloyd73

JayLloyd73 Astrea Snail

I did a water change a couple weeks ago, my nitrates are still high though. I am currently adding a sump tank so the extra water and filteration will help. I had a huma huma which I got rid of and possibly he did eat the one the others just shrunk to nothing. I have them low on the bottom of the tank shaded now. Well if they are not reproducing I wonder what the green dots are they seem to be in different spots then the original mushrooms were in. I would take a picture but they are probably to small to show up on the pic.

8. Click Here!

9. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    well its good that you moved them to a lower spot. IMO i keep shrooms low, out of current and out of direct light. i have a numerous amounts of shrooms and all of which hate strong current. lighting, again i keep them shaded unless they are ricos...

i would need to see some pics of the "dots"

1 person likes this.
  10. JayLloyd73

JayLloyd73 Astrea Snail

Have noticed one of my shrooms is coming back to life. Have been adding iodide and bringing PH up. Sump almost done will get sand for refugium today and get some mcro algae for it so as to help maintain the nitrates.

11. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    turn your pump off for at least a couple of hours so that the sand will settle at the bottom and not pump into the tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  12. nedlin

nedlin Plankton

Hi

I don't think my mushrooms are ricordea but they do have raised bumps on them. They are irridescent green would they still need low light? I am having a similar problem