Mushroom Shrinking HELP!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by s10lowrider1994, Oct 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

We've got a FL Ricordea that has been in our tank for a little over a month. At first it was doing good, attached itself within a few hours and opened up and seemed to be growing. Over last two weeks though it seems to be shrinking in size and not really opening up. We've got 2 other mushrooms that are doing great as our the rest of our corals and creatures. The Ricordea is midway up under direct lighting and in an area of moderate flow. Is there a way to bring him back to life? Also how can you safely move them once they are attached if the position in the tank is the issue? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Could be spilting, this seems normal to me, i have a bunch of shrooms in my tank and they do this from time to time. Is it expelling any thing?

1 person likes this.
  4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I agree 100%,mine do that from time to time,my hairy mushrooms and watermelon mushrooms seem to divide,and the others seem to drop babies,but either way when doing this they shrink up and look funny for a while.My tank is only about 7 months old and I have quite a few more mushrooms than what I started with.(I even lost a loose one in the reef for several weeks and when I moved some stuff around last week I found him and he was fine)so there pretty tough,if your water test ok,and everything else is doing fine,he is probably gonna make a pair for you!

1 person likes this.
  5. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

7. s10lowrider1994

Its not expelling anything at all, just seems to be shriveled up. Is there any way to tell for sure if its splitting or if its just the flow bothering it? It seemed fine in that spot for a while, just recently it began closing up and shrinking in size. How would we safely move it without hurting it (its attached to a 10lb piece of rock)? The water parameters at the moment are:

ph 8.4
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 5
    ammonia 0
    salinity 1.024
    temp 80 degrees

8. Click Here!

9. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

Take a pocket knife and chip out the rock it is attached to and set it on bottom

10. s10lowrider1994

Well we went to chip away the rock around the mushroom and the mushroom split into a million pieces from the slightest vibration, guess he was dead?