mushroom is turning white?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by kenny951, May 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kenny951

kenny951 Bristle Worm

I dont no the name of this mushroom. It was a hitchicker on some rock i got last year. I attatched him to another rock with my other mushroom along time ago. It has began to turn white and dosnt look healthy. But is still alive and has been like this for awhile now. Im starting to notice the surrounding mushrooms touching it are also turning white where it was touching.

It sounds like i need to remove the sick one or dieing one.

What is this and is there a cause for it? everything els in my tank looks good. All my other mushrooms look good.

2. Click Here!

3. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I can't really tell you the cause but my gut reaction from your title is that the coral is expelling (or has expelled) it's symbiotic algae, causing the lack of color. I would say that these cases generally don't turn out well for the coral. How long was it in your tank before you noticed the change? If it's a recent addition, and it was under different lighting at the fish store, it may have not handled the lighting change very well. I can't say if you should keep it in the tank or not until I know more about how long it's been in there.

Edit: Okay you said a year ago, I missed that part. I'd say pull it out, it's probably dying of old age.

4. kenny951

kenny951 Bristle Worm

I have had it for awhile and was always healthy. Its at the same level in the tank as about 20 other mushrooms so i dont think it is the light.

It is surrounded by other mushrooms that are not of the same exact species. They look the same but it is alittle differnt.

Maby the other mushrooms are killing it?

5. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'd say it's entirely possible that another coral is irritating it. I'm still learning about this dynamic myself so I don't have a clear answer. I'm sure you'll get an answer here though. A picture would probably help, if not give us something to look at.

6. kenny951

kenny951 Bristle Worm

I got rid of the sick one..I did notice the edge of one touching it has also began to take on that white color. I hope i dont need to get rid of that one to. But will if its just going to keep spreading.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I don't think mushroom species war with each other.

If you post a pic with these threads it will help us help you much better. Besides you know we are pic hounds.