mushroom frag question.

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Dasco, Apr 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

on Monday i got 2 small mushrooms 1 red 1 blue. they didnt come attached to anything, I placed them on a peice of live rock and put it in my sump with a 50/50 T8. (low light, low flow).

My question is how long befor they attach themselfs to the rock? when will it be ready for the much stronger current in my tank? i dont want them to blow away.lol

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

should take anywhere from a couple days to a week or so

4. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

how do i go about seeing if itts ready? flip rock over and see if they fall off?lol

5. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I have fragged several mushrooms in the past. I am guessing you wrapped it to the rock with something and did not use super glue? When I wrap them I wait 7 to 10 days and they have always been attached by then. But we are playing with nature and they may be different for you.

To see if they are attached uncover them and place them in a low flow area that if they do blow away you can recover it. I don't think you will have a problem.

6. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

Wrapped? i just sat them on the rock, will that not work.

I tried super glue day one, didnt work. then found out later superglue dont work on mushrooms.

7. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

You can wrap them with cheese cloth found at most major grocery stores. That way that stay on the rock where you put them and can not move. Then about a week later you are good to go. There are so many different methods to this but GEL super glue and the cheese cloth work best for me.

8. Click Here!

9. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

Thx for the info man, i have them in a low flow area in my sump so there not blowing around and theres nothing to knock them over. ill check in a few more days and see if they took a hold.

10. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Someone told me to do this (but I can't remember who): Take a small tupperware type container and poke holes all through it - big enough for water to flow through, but not so big that the mushroom can float out. Add small pieces of rock/rubble and add the mushroom on top of the rock. Snap the lid on and lower the container to the bottom of the tank and leave it there for a week or so. During that time, the mushroom should attach to a piece of rock.

I've had variable luck gluing mushrooms - too much slime!

11. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

thx for the input, i like to hear all the diff ways people use.

12. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Man I never thought of this but great idea.