Mushroom coral

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by mallasee, Mar 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

Hello All 3reefers,
    The other day I picked up a starry mushroom from the lfs. It was just one mushroom not attached to a rock or anything. After acclimating my mushroom it moved all over the tank. Mostly in the sand. It has now decided that it wants to live in the middle of my green star polyps. It looks neat there but i only have 2 corals and I don't want them both in the same spot. Can I epoxy the mushroom to a rock? If it attaches itself to the polyp rock how do I remove it? I did some research on starry mushroom and did not find anything so I will post a pic later tonight for some identification help. Thanks for any input. Have a great day!

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I use crazy glue myself but yeah just pick it up sponge off some water from its foot and ad a couple of drops of glue then just stick him where ever you want.

Marc.

4. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

I use crazy glue myself and I like it over epoxy.

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Mushrooms take to rock really fast! 1 day tops. Just wetch him gently in a nice area, shut off any water movement that may cause him to sway and presto! It should be attached in about 12 hours+. I would refrain from using any glue's or something similar like that as it might hurt his foot when you decide to move him. It's been done, but I just like the natural way.

If I want to move them and they already took, I gently peel them off... real gently.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I wouldn't use glue as they sometimes like to move. Also when they reproduce, alot of times they move/subdivide, and being that you have them glued to a rock it probably isn't the best for them. I would just place it on a piece of live rock in a low water movement area. It will attach shortly there after. Or use a rubberband and hold it to a piece of rock that way. Then remove it in a day or so!

1 person likes this.
  7. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will just place the shroom on a piece of rock and turn of the water flow overnight and see if it takes hold.

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

coral_reefer mentioned something important! Good job for pointing that out man, they do spread their foot when reproducing. Karma for good info!

If it doesn't take, you can also use a mesh net to hold it instead of a rubberband that might squeeze it. It's easier. You can get these nets from when you buy strawberry's or buy a new hair net.

1 person likes this.
  10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Thanks RICKZTER! And thanks for the info about the hair net for helping corals like mushrooms to attach.Karma to you also!

11. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

Okay i Have a question.... I am taking a Harry Mushroom off a rock in my dads tank and i am putting it in my tank.. i don't trust shutting off the water i have a 29 Gallon Bio Cube.... I would glue it but then again i want them to reproduce but i don't want to shut off the water flow.... Helps pleases

Forgot to add they are about 5 - 6" wide..... lol big boys

12. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

You can use some kind of tupperware container or cup and put a some rocks and the mushrooms in there. The walls of the container/cup help to cut flow but still allow the coral to get light. Worked great for me when I was attaching a toadstool.