Resolved Mushroom/anemone mix? ID please [Solved: Aptasia]

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Scape, Jul 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scape

Scape Astrea Snail

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Looks like aptasia. Pest anemone.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

It is aiptasia, do a 3reef search for method of eradication.

5. Scape

Scape Astrea Snail

Thank you!

Thanks. I am looking up ways to kill it now. Which option works best in your opinion?

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

different aiptasia's react to different treatments well....differently. my two favorite ways are to glue/epoxy (epoxy is less obvious to the eye) over them or place a small rock directly on them so it blocks the light and they move onto the new rock, then just take the rock out of the tank and throw it in your backyard for a week or two.

however most people reccomend joe's juice, aiptasia X, boiling tank water, lemon juice, boiling lemon juice, peppermint shrimp, copperbands, or berghia nudibranchs.

I hate injecting them with anything (joe's, aiptasia X, boiling, lemon, etc) cuz if you dont kill it 100% it releases spores everywhere.

People claim peppermints eat their LPS, I've never had this happen. its possible they mis-Id their shrimp as camel shrimp (not reef safe)

Copperbands need a big tank and are finicky eaters at best

Berghias die off once there is no more food as they are specialized eaters (most nudibranches are) and only eat one type of food (aiptasia in this case)

1 person likes this.
  7. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Looks like aiptasia to me! I had gotten a matted filefish (my first fish ever) to get rid of aiptasia (which I thought I had, but it was actually strawberry anemone), but since it wasn't aiptasia, I didn't get to see the fish in action. What I did on the strawberry was inject it with lemon juice, which works the same way with aiptasia. Or you could get a matted filefish and experience how cool they are :)

8. Click Here!

9. Scape

Scape Astrea Snail

I was thinking about getting a Filefish. Since I don't have any fish in my 75gal yet. But I read that they aren't very nice? So I would be limited to the different fish/Corals I could add?

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

The problem with fish that eat aiptasia is that once they're done, they can go after some corals. plus these fish (copperbands, matted filefish) need a highly varied diet after they do their job.

11. Scape

Scape Astrea Snail

That's what I was reading too. I'm going to try your method.. Place a rock or cup or some sort or something to get it to let go and move..

12. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I have no corals in my tank yet, so I haven't really experienced it. He (or she..) used to nip at snails, but I got him (her) to stop it. Now it's a pleasantly social unicorn fish :)