'muriatic acid rock wash'.

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Raynor, Sep 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Raynor

Raynor Plankton

'muriatic acid rock wash'.
    I need research on this 'muriatic acid rock wash'. Hoping for knowledgeable input.

I have some live rock in a 55g drum awaiting 180 tank setup; the heater fouled up on me and cooked the rock (aqua-euro titanium) to a steaming temperature. I have been told by LFS that no amount of washing and cleaning will fix rock; That it just has to go through cycle process in tank and then I seen this.

The message they sent you was:
    The treatment is 15 min muriatic bath, 5 min muriatic bath, 5 min muriatic bath, 15 minute freshwater, overnight freshwater, spray-off with freshwater. I'll re-soak them before cycling them as well. But, if there's any muriatic acid left at this point, all it should do is just lower the pH slightly.

TYIA: raynor :-/

2. Click Here!

3. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

I dont know anything about Muriatic acid, but I don't see how it can be any more useful than bleach. Bleach will kill anything in those rocks, which will let you start completely over without the threat of unwanted predators. Plus, when bleach dries out, it dissipates 100%, which means there is no chance of it getting into your system (once the rock dries of course).

This is my personal method for cleansing rocks.

4. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

problem with muriatic acid is that it will actually eat away at the rock. Because the active ingredient in muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. Muriatic acid comes in a variety of strengths... At your hardware store its common to find 18 baume (measurement amount of hydrochloric Acid).. it will actually eat at your rock.

I used muriatic recently on a rock to kill my GSP.Did a great Job :D

5. Raynor

Raynor Plankton

So bleach will do the job by its self?

I have tried to re-seed the rock the last 3 months. My change water goes from tank to rock barrel every week. I had a light on rock for awhile. I've put copepods in barrel also.

But I worry that rock would cause problems as is. How can I tell if rock is alive or still half dead?

Water test show nitrate high and anomia was 8- I believe. But I always feed well prior to w/change