Munnid isopods outcompeting copepods

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Mobalized, Nov 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

Over the past 2 months I have noticed that the copepod population has dropped in the tank while the munnid isopod population (primarily in the sump) has exploded to mass proportions. I have a insane amount of munnids and almost no copepods and wondering if they are just more suited to sustaining themselves in tanks. And if there is any issue with this as they are both herbivore/detritivores

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

going to bump this back from the grave, going through the same thing....hopefully 4 years later people will have a little more to say....

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I went through this when I first set up my tank, Copepods were EVERYWHERE for a while, then the amphipods "bloomed," preying on the available Copepods if I had to guess, then the Isopods "bloomed" feeding on the amphipods. Once I introduced a fish, a wrasse in this case, it kept all the different types of pods in line.

I can't imagine having too many Isopods as a bad thing, as long as they're not the predatory kind.

Just my thoughts.

5. Swisswiss

yeah iv read there populations are self regulating. all this is happening my sump by the way and not having a "big guy" to feed on them i fear they will end up being the top of the food chain down there.... i believe they are not tthe predatory/parasitic type...

also im guessing thier chances of ending in my DT as a treat for my fish are equally to copepods finding thier way up there correct?

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Assuming they make it through the spinning death chamber (return pump)...

I think you're overthinking it. If you're worried put a small shrimp or small fish down there and don't feed it as often, it'll go for the Isopods. Otherwise, it's really not a problem even if they are predatory/parasitic as there aren't any corals/inverts/fish in there anyways.

Swisswiss likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Return pumps don't hurt pods.:)

8. Click Here!

9. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

do you have hiding spots for other pods? Some reef rubble might be able to help out with that. Just my opinion and thoughts.

10. Swisswiss

i have a small turff of caluerpa and cheato on its way

11. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

That may work... I was thinking something that has tiny holes for them to hide in.

12. Swisswiss

dont get me wrong i have a few monsterous amphipods and some preg. copepods but these little guys really seem to be the most common critter to spot in my sump. i have one my walls (the one with the most algae/cyano growth) covered with them. I got a chance to get a closer look at a couple that where close to one another, suddenly one of the two ( the larger one) deployed its pincers, they looked similar to scorpion ones (I know its absorudly vague but its the best example i can give you).... i was unaware munnid were equiped with these