multi-program timing power strip

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jimmy_beaner, Feb 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm looking for a timer power strip that will let me run multiple timers. One for my sunrise/sunset lights, one for my main lights, one for chaeto fuge and moon lights. So I need at minimum two programs as long as the moon lights and chaeto are just opposite one of the day lights. Does anyone know a power strip that would meet my needs?

I'm wanting to bracket the daylights by an hour with the sunrise lights

2. Click Here!

3. Matt121

Matt121 Fire Worm

Really depends how much you want to spend I have the digital aquatics reef keep light and I love it

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would say go with a controller because you can control much more than the lights.

Coralife and Zoomed have power strips that might fit the bill. You will most likely need two of the strips to get it to work the way you want.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

My Coralife went out and I read others with the same problem. It only has one or two timers can't remember and then more out lets. You would be much better off getting a power strip with enough room so you can go down to Home Depot and get some digital timers.

Of course a controller is just plain good money spent if you have it. But a couple of timers to run light will get you by for some time.

6. jimmy_beaner

Links to the controller?

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Think of it this way.

By the time you buy a set of 4 timers for all this stuff and a power strip (only a couple will actually fit 4 timers), you're looking at $60 for the timers, and then a bit more for the power strip. The only way I could fit 4 timers on a strip was to buy a specific $25 strip with swivel outlets. The timers eventually crapped out one by one, and I had 3 broken within a month of use by the time I changed to a different method. They aren't built for constant use, as it turns out.

You could also go with a Coralife strip, which I'll let other people comment on. I don't know enough about its reliability, TBH. I think you'd need 2 for your needs, and each is $40 AFAIK.

On the other hand, a ReefKeeper Lite is only $120, and has 4 outlets, plus other benefits, like expandability, and a temperature probe. There's also the Reef Angel, if you're a bit more technical of a guy.

8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

To be honest with you the Reef Angel is a much better product, and not that had to use.

11. jimmy_beaner

Thanks... I'll keep my eye on it. I have a couple analog timers at my house that'll get me by for now. I just like everything being "automatic"

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

The basics....

Neptune systems Apex and Apex lite. Cream of the crop. Best on the market. AC Jr. simple inexspensive. A setup will run you $230.

Digital Aquatics. Reef Keeper Reef Keeper Lite. Plenty of fans. RK Lite will run you the same $230 as a AC Jr.

Reef Angel is a new controller with open source code that everyone writes their own stuff for. Great if you are a DIY computer geek. Owners love them.

You can use them all for simple light and temp control.... or go all out and have web access and e-mail alerts and run your tank from across the country in any way you can imagine. They run chemical dosers, calcium reactors... you can get a salinity probe and automate water changes....ect.