Mrs Wages Pickling lime and baking soda

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by generic_411, Mar 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. generic_411

generic_411 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I heave heard that many people use these to maintain Cal and Alk levels. Is this ok to do? I'm just thinking that it is waaaaay cheaper to do if it is safe.

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Pickling lime is the same as kalkwasser mix--great for maintaining not for raising.

4. generic_411

Ok. So is there anything that would be good for raising levels if needed? I am referring to something that is not specifically for aquarium use, like the lime.
    I am really just curious about cheaper methods. I know of lots of little tricks for freshwater for things like this, but i have never researched the same for a reef tank. Are there Cal suppliments out there that are not made for tanks, but that work well and are safe?

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Just use Kent liquid cal it is cheap (7.95 a bottle) There is a calculator on this site with different methods to raise things--also tells how much to add

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

7. generic_411

Thanks! K+

Most of the stuff i have used/seen have been way overpriced for what they do.

One more thing. What is the general opinion on adding other trace stuff? I have read many article that say that it is not usually needed unless you have a VERY complex system. I'm just keeping up a 29 gallon, and it isn't loaded down. I have maybe 15 frags/small corals. Most of what i have read is that with regular water changes, you will replenish the little bit that has been stripped if you use a good salt mix. I use Instant Ocean, and it has all the trace elements i will ever need.

So is it crazy to think that all you really need to worry about on a basic reef tank is Cal and Alk?

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

that's a pretty small bottle for 7.95... I wouldn't call it cheap.

I use this and while it costs more up front... it will last me years
    The Total Two Part Package Bulk Reef Supply

That price there includes calcium, alkalinity and magnesium

10. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Instant Ocean is great salt mix but not for corals---Low calcium and magnesium--I switched to Oceanic. Also Reef Crystals is good but alot more expensive. If you do regular water changes with a light demand, you should only have to worry about cal and mag

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Do not dose anything you do not test for.

I use Instant Ocean as well - I agree it will replenish your trace elements when doing routine water changes.

And yes that is crazy :p - you also need to stay on top of your magnesium - it's critical to maintaining your Cal and Alk.

My above referenced link includes magnesium. if you want it on the super cheap, you can use epsom salts

12. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Which size are you thinking of P? Kent makes a large and small--I am refering to the larger bottle. Has lasted 2 mo and still have 1/3 left-I dose a cap a day when raising levels