MP40 moved a ton of sand - move it back or leave it?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by sharoleb, Feb 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

To sum it up - my mp40 was not in the right place and moved a ton of sand. It's probably almost 6 inches in the corner, down to an inch or two in the middle. Aside from it looking ridiculous, and uncovering a mass hermit crab graveyard, I'm concerned it's just not good for the tank. Also - this has happened over the last few weeks, so it's been there for a bit.

What do I do with this massive pile of sand in the corner? Push a little over at a time? Leave it there, even though it looks dumb? Add a little sand in the middle to even out the gap?

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Gently rake it back in place. Keep a good eye on your nitrate levels, might, might not get a spike. That's it :)

4. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

Thanks!! I was concerned about the build up of nitrifying bacteria. Just did a water change last night. I'll make some more water and rake it back into place this weekend, then do a small WC.

5. Deftones2015

Deftones2015 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

In my opinnion the worst it would do is put detritusup in the water column which the skimmer should take out or like u said a small wc.