mp20 upgrade to mp40w

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by bioreefdude, Dec 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

only thing different on the two power supplies is the output amps , on the mp 20 the amps is 1.5a and on the 40 it is 2.5a ,so my question is would that differences in amps give you a 1000 more gphs

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

im thinking i can get a stronger power supply 20 40 bucks and have more gphs i really can do without the wireless the mp 20 is fine now that i've played with it i had to move it higher in the tank so it doesnt stir the sand ive been running it 75 %

4. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

oh really? hrmm maybe i wont need to overdrive the mp20 im getting....

if it cant get all the detritus into the water column on the far end of the tank ill be overdriving it :)

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

congrats on the holiday gift to yourself ;)

6. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

well... im buying a MP40W from tb aquatics (tbaquatics.com). i blew up the mp20 i got for $80 via craigslist. it doesnt turn on anymore i dont recommend this :(

7. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

so, im guessing the controller modules are in fact different boards with different power regulators or something. this one was working fine when i got it, i hooked up a power supply that has the same exact output rating as the mp40 unit comes with and it wont power on. it made a click sound and now it wont turn on with its original adapter.

i took one for the team? :)

8. Click Here!

9. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

oh and one other thing to note, these things KICK A$$! when the mp20 was running it was doing awesome. the two damsels i have in the tank for cycling were loving it.

im going with the mp40 though because i had the mp20 on 100% and was feeling it could do a little more to the far back corner if i had a lil more GPH out of it. (i originally had spec'd two koralia k5 magnums for each far side of the tank with a jbj controller but this is more cost effective and has more programmed options for reef simulation)

10. bioreefdude

dam sorry to hear that i guess ill upgrade later on if i go bigger

11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

yeah, i actually gave it to a friend of mine thats a electrical engineer. he took it to work to test out the voltage regulators on the board and determined that i in fact toasted them with the increased amperage ;)

live and learn.... not the first manufactured item that had a identical bigger brother that i blew up from attempting to mod :)

12. bioreefdude

lmao u r the man bje ,taking one for the team and all