mp20 upgrade to mp40w

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by bioreefdude, Dec 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

so upon further research the mp20 and mp40 use the same wet propeller and the same dry motor. they ship you a 24v power supply and the wireless adapter.

ha, so if you had an mp20 can you just find another power transformer around your house that is 24v to kick that baby upto 3000gph? seems they're just overdriving the motor with more voltage to get it to put out more.

hrmm now im wondering if i should buy a mp20 and hook up a 24v power adapter to it... saves me the $200 for the mp40 because i dont need the wireless controller.

2. Click Here!

3. john1948

john1948 Feather Duster

If the MP20 is just a few hours old and not a problem to ship back, I would. To up-grade from MP20 to MP40 is more expensive than to just purchase the MP40. I too was going to purchase the MP20 for my 90g but after doing a little research, decided the MP40 would be more suitable for my needs. I compared the price of the MP20, the cost to up-grade to the MP40 and found the purchase of the MP40 to come out a little cheaper than to do the up-grade.

Good luck,
    john1948

4. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

5. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

Here is verbiage taken straight from the ecotech website in their FAQ section. Question - Are the Vortech Pumps Upgradeable

A: The VorTech pumps are upgradeable. If you have the MP40 (sold from Spring 2006 until Fall 2007) you can upgrade to the MP40w (introduced Fall 2007) by buying the Wireless Wave Driver (p/n: MP138). If you have the MP20, you can upgrade to the MP40w by buying the MP20 to MP40w Upgrade Kit (P/N: MP153), which includes the Wireless Wave Driver and a more powerful power supply to get the higher flow that the MP40w offers. At EcoTech Marine, we know as hobbyists ourselves that we often start with a small tank and move up as our passion for reef aquaria grows deeper. Our upgradeable product line allow you to have the option to change between the different models without having to buy a whole new model.

6. john1948

john1948 Feather Duster

Although the verbiage expounded by the Ecotech web-site is likely true, keep in mind it is still a sales pitch for their product. And, although I am extremely happy with my MP40w, keep in mind that what they are not saying is that if you compare the cost of the MP20 and then add the cost to purchase the MP40 up-grade kit, the total cost is more expensive when compared to the price of the MP40w by itself. So, if you want the MP40w and can still return the MP20, than I would return the MP20 and purchase the MP40w.

7. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

so if i changed my power supply i would get more flow?

8. Click Here!

9. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

im thinking im going to buy a MP20 and hookup a 24V supply to it and see if i get significant performance.... because the WWD (wireless wave driver) isnt something i need now, or even in the future on this tank. it still has the wave driver that plugs into it to control. i wont have two units so i wont need wireless synchronization unless im missing something else.

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

bje, it sounds like that is all that you need then.

Interesting thread, and from a manufacturing standpoint, ecotech is being smart by basically selling a less featured old tech mp40, and simply reducing its power by using less volts to run it, and thereby underdriving the same pump motor and prop to get less gph.

That said, I would return the mp20 and get the mp40w asap. If it costs more to get the upgrade and the mp20, then it makes no sense to do it that way when you can return the mp20 still.

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

That is sure what it sounds like.

12. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

so i called up vortech today to question this. they kept dancing around the discussion of me using my own 24V transformer to 'overdrive' a mp20 and agreed that it may work but cannot guarantee the longevity of the motor. i questioned if the transformer they provide has the built in regulation for voltage limiting to change the GPH output when you use the different modes on the controller and they said "NO" the voltage regulation is handled by the controller itself. basically they know they're selling the same thing with a different "wall-wart" (as i call them) and throwing in the capability of wirelessly controlling the other pumps, if any.

In the end the guy told me it'd be wiser to just buy the MP40W to begin with because you get your manufacturer support, you get the right controller unit already built to sustain 24-28V (he cant confirm for me, or just doesnt want to say "YES" if the MP20 controller unit is capable of accepting 24V source because if its not then this discussion of possibly using an alternate power supply is moot). Came down to a back and fourth discussion over the $100 difference in price.

So YES, you can overdrive them with a 24V transformer to get more GPH (so long as the Mp20 controller doesnt fry out from the additional voltage). NO, you wont get a replacement if you mis-wire that 24V supply or it puts out too much amerpage or you somehow manage to fry your MP20 controller. So be wary if you do decide to 'modify' your purchase of an MP20. Safest way to go is to buy the MP40.

After my discussion with the guy, and my personal knowledge of electronics, I will be modifying my MP20 that im hopefully getting used for $80 :) I will let everyone know when it arrives whether or not I fried the unit by 'overdriving' the voltage.

If it works for a few months and craps out on me, I will buy the MP40W straight up because it is in fact a better deal. If you were to buy the MP20 NEW, I too would suggest just paying the additional $100 and getting a pump thats far more capable than the MP20 by itself.

If anyone out there has upgraded from an MP20 to an MP40 and has their old MP20 controller laying around, perhaps you can do us all a favor and plug your 24V supply into it and hook it up and see if it works? (dunno if/when mines coming)