MP10 Placement on 60 gal Cube

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by bigdubb, Jul 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm currently running two MP10s on my 60gal cube. Per the instructions from EcoTech it says to place one pump on the back and one on the side for the Tidal swell mode.

Unfortunately I"m geting some sand disturbed as part of this. IT seems to be moving the sand from the corner infront of the pump on teh back towards the middle of the tank.

I've reduced the amount the pump moves, but this only slightly deters the problem.

Move the pump up or move it opposite the other pump (off the rear wall)?

Has anyone had any experience with MP10s on a 60gal cube?

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I will not be of much help, as I have never owned MP10s, however, what kind of sand do you have? If it is too fine, you may have trouble no matter where you place them.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

You could move them around to try out different configurations and see what you like and the effect you're going for. Just my .02.

5. bigdubb

6. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I use two mp10's on my 83g cube so its similiar. I have them on opposite sides of the tank aimed at each other and my return hooked up to a sea swirl. I tried them out at first with both on the back wall but found much better flow with them located on the sides. I also added two korallias towards the back for extra flow. I have a bare bottom tank so can't help on the sand. But I run them at 50% reef crest mode and everything in my tank is happy.
    Hth

7. bigdubb

I ended up moving the pumps across from each other. A brief scrub down to remove the diatoms from the pumps and an over all scrub of the overflow wall, then I turned on the pumps. Holy cow this had a significant change in flow. I thought I was getting good flow in the tank, but once the pumps kicked on the stuff getting stirred up in the tank was significant. Honestly, I think that pump position works best for a long tank vs. a cube tank.

I checked the skimmer after a few hours and its pulling out GREAT skim mate. Probably the best since I've introduced that piece of equipment to the system.

Thanks for the suggestion nc208082.