moving

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by manta975, May 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. manta975

manta975 Plankton

Sorry if there is already a topic on this but in about a month i will be moving from Oregon to Florida, a five day trip. i have two goldfish and 6 octos and i am wondering the best way to move them. i have a 30 gallon tank and a 10 gallon a hang on the back canister filter and 10 gallon filter on the 30 and a 30 gallon n the 10 so i don't know if i will be able to keep the bacteria alive for 5 days plus sting up and tearing down the system . i also have quite a bit of rock that i don't vacuum so theirs lots of stuff growing on that to and i have some fluffy algae that i have growing that i might be able to keep alive

we also have 4 gerbils 3 cats and a dog so bringing 25 gallons of water is out of the question and the goldies need to be separated or they will nip at each other until they don't have much of a fin left.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

A five day move won't work. See if you can get someone of a LFS to hold the fish until you are ready to set the tank up again and have then sent overnight to you. The rock will probably be OK if you keep it covered and bring it with you along with the tanks and supplies.

4. manta975

manta975 Plankton

ok, i will see if i could do that. Do most stores do that. There is an airport in the city not a large one but its there.

5. manta975

manta975 Plankton

I find that not to be true. after an unexpected 8 day move pluse 3 more days to get my tank set up and a day to let the water move and de-chlorinate completely all 8 of my fish are doing fine in there tank ;D.

6. JMHuss

JMHuss Plankton

Glad to hear the move went well. My wife and I are considering moving, but it's probably only a one or two day trip. I have 5 display tanks of various shapes and sizes that I'll either need to move or sell.

Could you explain what steps you took to make the move successful?

Thanks,
    Jonathan