Moving Tank???

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Scoffer, Dec 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Hi all and Merry Christmas!!! Me and my lady have come up with this grand idea that we need to move our tank over about 3-5 feet to center it in a stained glass window.

What a great idea, huh?

I wanted to ask opinions on this. My plan is this:

I have a 65 gal. spare tank in the shed. I want to sit it down in front of where it has to go, move as much water over to the 65 gal on the floor, then me and a couple of bigger men, pick up and move the tank and stand over the few feet.

I will lower my higher LR to the bottom of the good tank so hopefully they won't get exposed. I can pump the water back into the main tank with a pump.

PLEASE give me ya'lls honest opinions on doing something like this. If its a big no-no, please tell me. I would really like to do it, but not at the cost of killing everything in my tank, or something else bad I can't think off.

Any ideas would also be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks,

Scoffer

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I don't know that I would move the tank with the LR in it.....if a piece falls, it may crack or scratch the glass..plus it will be as heavy as....well a tank full of rock and water!!!

I would get rubbermaid tubs (you can get them for 3 or 4 bucks each at KMart) and take all the rock out, and as much water as possible but leave the sand covered...then move it.

My super paranoia is torqueing the tank. If it twists even a little, you can break the seal...which would be a bummer.

Just my humble opinion... :-/ :D

4. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Im scared as the dickens about the whole thing...I'd definately have to empty as much water as I could, and I planned on leaving it on the stand, picking it up as little as physically possible, and almost sliding it into place.

Good idea about the rubbermade containers for the LV.

Is it gonna hurt the rock too much to be exposed to air?

thanks birdlady.....you always so helpful!!!

Scoffer

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I got my LR from a guy about a half hour from me, we just put it in the rubbermaid tubs, and put wetted newpaper over it to keep it moist but not under water. It took a couple hours before I actually got the rock in my tank. I have sponges, tunicates, feather dusters, bristle worms...you name it! So, no I don't believe it will harm the rocks. Even the shrooms were fine that way. ;D

Happy to help!!! ;D

6. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

well, just a thought here.
    We got new carpet the other day and had a very heavy cabinet on it. The movers put some things under the corners of the cabinet and then slid the cabinet. The just had to lift the cabinet up enough to get the things under. They are not much thicker than paper.
    They are made out of some real slippery material on one side, that goes to the bottom. That supposed to work on every kind of floor.
    Maybe you could use those?

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

That is a great idea! I used those to move an entertainment unit! They work great!

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

It's a great idea :)

How about this? Take out some water to stop it slopping out to much.

Get some 1/4 - 1/2 inch dowel rods, lift one end of the tank, slip in a piece of rod, lift the other end and start to wheel the whole thing over. Just keep putting pieces of dowel under until you get there :)

John

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

JohnO,

How do you handle your singular brilliance??? ;) ::) ;D

11. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

john, you forgot to tell us how you clean up the mess in the end. ;)

But I really think those little moving "plates" would work. I asked the movers about them, because I thought they were cool. They told me you can get them for a dollar at the dollarstore ;)

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Sue,

My singular brilliance come from living with my late wife for nearly 30 years who was forever wanting to move the immovable.

Yvonne,

Same answer :) But I agree, those moving plate would work wonderfully well and you can always keep them or put them under the refrigerator or other heavy appliance :)

John