Moving sump to basement

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Reef Queen, Oct 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

Ok i have been kicking this idea around for a while and its time to stop thinking and start doing. I want to move my sump down to my basement, im so sick of having no room under my tank for a fuge or ATS, or anything else i want to add, plus my RO/DI is in the basement and my pump is super loud in my dining room...basically this move will solve a lot of my problems! But i have no idea what pump i will need to push all that water about 15 feet high, here is the pump i have now under my stand Blueline 40 HD-X External Aquarium Water Pump by Pan World - AquaCave

i would like to keep the flow around the same and also since my sump is drilled i would prefer an external pump, but i could go either way really...price is a big thing for me right now too because its getting cold and people arnt grooming there dogs as much, which means my broke months are starting lol...plus i just had to tow my car to the shop yesterday which is looking to be a $1200-$2000 fix...bah i have all the luck haha! Anyway does anyone have any suggestions for me or tips? should i go through the wall or the floor (hardwood floors) and should i use pvc or hose? i have pvc now for the return but im thinking if i have to add angles anywhere it will cut down on the flow...or am i making that up lol!

Also i finally ordered a float switch so i can get crackin' on the ATO...i just quit smoking so i am trying to find a lot of things to occupy my time so im not thinking about delicious menthol goodness haha...plus if im busy i cant substitute food for nicotine, ill start smoking again before making myself fat haha!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Queen

wow nobody? i know i am not the 1st person to ever do this lol! There has to be others with basement sumps!!

4. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I don't know specifics on which pump but I would just look around like marine depot and look around at the pumps. Most have ratings on them at different head heights. As far as through wall or floor I would base that off what you have now in the way of plumbing now and try to keep as much as possible. In the way of hard or soft plumbing I would use hard to run through the floor I think especially if you are just going straight down the when you have to make a turn or something just switch to soft. I personally have never done something like this though but that is how I would do it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. Reef Queen

if mine runs at 1270 at 0 feet and has a max head of 13 feet how many gph would it be at at 13 feet? things like this confuse me...i am no good at math haha, and where is walnutport PA? its good to see a fellow Pennsylvanian on here...it seems like there are very few of us lol

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

On that link you posted there is a link to the chart with head vs gpm, it doesn't look like it would pump to 15 feet of head. And you are correct that each fitting (90*, 45* etc.) adds to the head, but it depends on pipe diameter how much it adds.

7. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Walmutport is like 15 minutes north of Allentown. To pump water up 15ft you will need a pretty hefty pump.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Queen

Oh ok i know where Allentown is, i havnt measured yet...im just guessing 15 feet, lets say its between 10 and 15...ok never mind...hold on ill go measure haha!

10. Reef Queen

ok it is actually a little less then 10 feet, i forgot to take into account that the sump will be on a table...and not on the floor bahaha! so from the top of the table to the returns its just under 10 feet, so my pump i have already may even work?? or will my flow be really slow then?

11. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Wow, look at the wattage required to pump that high though. Thats 24/7/365 so adds up over time. Personally I have gone the opposite direction and tried to make my system more efficient and have cut my power bills significantly.