moving sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by telamont, Jul 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. telamont

telamont Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I set up a new tank and wanted to use the sand from my old tank if possible. Is this a possibility? If not moving the sand to the main tank what about into a sump that is not running yet? I have a sump im building for my new tank that I wanted to make a deep sand bed in could I start the deep sand bed with the sand from my old system?

2. Click Here!

3. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

I was wondering the same thing. I was planning to move some live sand from my established tank to the new tank along with some of the water to help with the cycling process. Is this not a good idea?

4. telamont

i found that adding the water if its clean or at least a little it is a good idea but i read the sand is not. im wondering if there is a safe way or another way to use up this sand though instead of wasting it.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can release a lot more trouble by using well established sand. I suggest getting new dry sand to restart with.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You would want to rinse it very well which would bring you back to about the same level as new dry sand.

7. telamont

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You can seed the new sand with a couple of cups of sand from an established system to help with your cycle or seeding of microfauna.Using water from an established system will have little effect on a cycling tank because for the most part the bacteria you are trying to grow lives on surfaces not in the water column.;)

10. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the info :)

11. telamont

Yeah thanks for the info. Would you add a few cups of old sand to a new tank to help it cycle or to get all that bacteria again? I added live rock from the old tank to the new Tank... Do you think that added some beneficial bacteria that was in the sand?

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Adding sand from an old tank will help colonize the new sand and adding old rock from a tank to a new one will do the same. Adding live rock from an old tank can help shorten or prevent a cycle.