Moving Rocks

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by cannedmulder, Jul 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have 3 pajama cardnails that only hang out at the back of my tank, behind my rock. So it was suggested to me I should move my rock farther back so there isn't as much room to hang out back there. I am worried to move my rock because my goby has his main home under the rocks I want to move. I am afraid if I lift off some of the rock it will shift the others enough to then squish my goby. Should I worry about this or should I just go slow? My goby is a diamond goby so he tries to stay hidden if anything scares him so I don't think he would come out easily!:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

If you move your rock back make sure you keep flow back there or you'll have dead spot.
    Great place to build up detritus.

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

well why move the rock ? for the sake of being able to "see" the cardinals, you wanna move the rock ?.

Why not allow the fish to become aquainted with your tank and over time the fish will become more bold and come on so you can veiw them.
    ( the more you mess with the tank, the more un-needed stress you will cause the tank inhabitants ).

5. cannedmulder

I have to keep it back there for some of my corals on these rocks also.

6. cannedmulder

It also isn't just for seeing the cardinals. It is also a bunch of dead space not being used. When I put in my LR I didn't know what I wanted. So I put it in what I thought would be good with lots of holes and height. But looking at it now there is quite a bit of space back there. I don't mind just leaving it! Just wanted opinions! Should I leave it?

7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

In other words, less is more. Don't bother your system. Let your fish adapt and give them more than a day or two (which I speculate is as long as you've had them) to adjust to their new surroundings. They will be more active. I have had Cardinals and they are not shy fish..... ::)

8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

LOL, should you leave it ? ( up to you really ) it's your tank.
    do you have pics you can share with us ?

10. cannedmulder

I can get them. Give me a sec or two. Have to down load! I have had these cardinals for 2 weeks!

11. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I had a cardinal starve itself for a month before it came around. I highly recommend AGAINST any ideas of re-stacking your rocks!! You might think it to be a simple job, but in reality it will last you HOURS! HOURS of stress upon you, and hours of stress upon your fragile and expensive fish.

12. cannedmulder

Well I know they aren't starving because I have been seeing them eating the food that goes back there! Ok I will wait but I will still post pics.