Moving livestock from tank to tank. Need advice

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Travis45, May 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I might in the next week be pulling everything out of my 80 gallon bowfront and moving it to a 75 gallon rectangular tank. My reasoning for this are a few things. First thing is I'm in earthquake country here in Southern California. The shape of my tank and stand makes it very top heavy and I am seriously scared of that thing rocking over.The shape of the stand is shaped like the tank so there is not much stand under this beast. I've also read the horror stories about bowfront tanks just blowing out due to the design. I did already patch a small leak on the back seam where the back wall is attached to the side. I can visually see about a 6 inch area on that seam where it looks like the adhesive is letting lose. The last reason for moving would be aquarium space. I would lose three inches of height which I could care less, just puts my T5s closer to my coral. The thing about the bowfront is it really limits your aquascaping. You really have one nice wide area to work with and the overflow located in the middle of the tank is a pain to work around. The new tank is a standard 75 acrylic with stand and canopy. I just need to make sure my sump fits in the stand before I make the purchase. Let me know if you think this is worth it. I know I won't lose any coral but I might lose a fish or two which has my girlfriend worried.

Travis

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It sounds like a good idea since the 80 seems to be coming apart.

4. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Heres a pic of the part of the tank that scares me. The thing in the corner covered in coraline is a corner patch piece that the tank manufacturer sent me to glue on. You can see the clouded area on the blue where the bond is starting to loosen up.

[​IMG]

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

6. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie