Moving from LPS tank to SPS. Need advice

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by sbenus, Jun 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sbenus

sbenus Plankton

Hey everyone,

My current 180g tank (full pictures and information at the link on my signature) has mainly LPS corals and some softies and polyps. I would like to start incorporating SPS corals and eventually removing some of the more aggressive LPS, such as my huge torch, as space is needed. Currently I have a chiller, Two Orphek LED panels, wet/dry with built-in protein skimmer and a UV filter. I will be receiving a Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite (Net) Controller for my birthday (this Saturday 8) ) and then going to purchase a Korallin C1502 calcium reactor next month.

My question is, would this future set up be adequate for SPS? I would start out by testing with a hardier species such as a Montipora and slowly add more if all goes well, but I would eventually like to have Acropora and others.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon

2. Click Here!

3. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

Sounds like a solid plan to me. Might need some more flow though for SPS compared to the LPS and softies in there now.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sounds good although I would add another LED panel since they are meant to cover a 2' area.

+1 on increased flow you will find 50+ times the DT volume is much appreciated. Many SPS only tanks are around 100+ times the flow of the DT.