Moving a happy Clam?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Covey, Mar 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I have a Cocrea clam and it is firmly attached to a large rock My old tank I was worried it wouldn't get enough light so it fairly high on the rock. That not a problem in the new tank and I wanted to put it on the sand. I was wondering if there are any secrets to moving it with out injuring its foot?

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

um...if it was up to me (and u can just move the rock its on) i would leave it alone...of course u can prolly cut the foot...but IMO its risky...maybe somone else thinks otherwisE?

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=Covey link=board=Inverts;num=1109808820;start=0#0 date=03/02/05 at 19:13:40]I have a Cocrea clam and it is firmly attached to a large rock My old tank I was worried it wouldn't get enough light so it fairly high on the rock.  That not a problem in the new tank and I wanted to put it on the sand.  I was wondering if there are any secrets to moving it with out injuring its foot?[/quote]
    Croceas are rock boring clams and will not be happy on the sand bed unless you put something underneath it that it can attach its foot too (for example, a piece of rock or a dead clam/oyster shell). I would just leave it be as they are one of the most light demanding clams in the hobby.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good tips Annick. :)

Covey - Don't do what I did! - I got frustrated and pulled it too hard. It eventually died. One of my dummer moves.  :'(

6. DaxAlbrecht

DaxAlbrecht Plankton

Crocea clams perfer to stay attached to a hard substrate. I would not place it on the sand. it will not expand as well and will keep moving around until it finds a rock. If you want to put it on the bottom of your tank, put it on a rock that is on/near the bottom, not the sand.

7. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Covey, You can try taking a cheisel and cutting off a small piece of the rock that it is attached too. I did this with my maxima clam and it survived, although I may have just been lucky! Good luck!

8. Click Here!

9. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

Bruce--don't know much about clams---but I think you got a point. I would just leave it be. If it wants to move it will obviously do so on its own.

Anne

1 person likes this.