Moving a Crocea.. Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Clams' started by reefmonkey, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'm tearing down and selling my 46 gallon reef. I've been moving some of the stuff I really want to keep into my 90 gallon. I have a 4+ inch blue Crocea that is attached to a boulder. I could probably get the entire rock out but the problem is that I wouldn't have room for it in the 90. Not to mention that there are a lot of Aip's on it that I don't want to transfer.

What is the risk of injury/death to the clam if I were to chisel the rock and break a largish piece away? I don't want to have to sell him but I don't want to kill him either.

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

i would just chisel it...as long as u chisel it out deep enough and dont hurt its foot the your fine... screwdriver and hammer... live rock breaks easier than it looks with that..shouldnt be too hard to get a nice chuck off with the clam

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm just concerned about the impact energy transferring from the rock into the clam. Do you think it will mess up his insides? What is the maximum amount of time I can have it exposed to air? That's another concern.

5. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

ill never expose a clam to air...

and for the impact, it shouldnt hurt it...my clams rock has fallen a few times when i was adjusting my tank and it never messed it up.. five seconds later it was open again..

ive always heard never expose them to air..and when ever your rehousing them always turn them to different sides and make sure the bubble comes out the clam..or u burb them..

6. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

In all honesty- 0 time exposed to air is best, but if you must, remember to tip the clam in various degrees to remove any traped air, before you finally place the clam- not doing this can kill a clam very quickly.

Do not chip the rock in the tank- do it in a 5 gallon bucket.

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I've always heard that it's not good to expose them either but there is no way I can work on the rock without taking it out.

Researching this issue before asking the question I read a lot of different opinions on air exposure. But again I've always been told to never expose them. What a mess. :-/

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think you will be fine it you have a cold chisel available. Should go fastest. Make sure and tease the clam shut before removing it from the water. I think it will be fine it you do it over a couple of days so you are not removing it constantly over a short time.

10. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

Or you could get a rubber maid tub say 64 Qt. fill with tank water 4inch deeper than the clam is tall have someone hold the rock take a good quality clean chisel or screw driver and crack the rock and be done in 5 mins. No time exposed to air, bag and release under water. Good luck

11. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I'm all for you getting this clam out... let this be a lesson to those putting a new clam in a tank to place it on a small rock first for this very reason...

12. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

OK I have a ?. If you put your 4 inch clam on a 6 inch rock what happens when the clam grows up does he out grow the rock?