Moved RO unit, low psi

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by civiccars2003, Dec 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Just moved my Spectrapure 90 gallon RO/DI last night. I can't get it to run higher than 20-25 psi. I have a booster pump. The tubing has quite the vibration in the lines. Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Could be clogged, did you try hooking it up at the original location to see if the PSI goes back up to normal?

4. civiccars2003

Don't think its clogged. Good point about hooking it up at the original location. Will look into that.

5. civiccars2003

Could temperature be a factor in the differential drop?

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

No.
    I suspect the gauge has been damaged by the oscillations in the line.
    Water hammer can easily be 5-10x the working pressure of the gauge. Always make sure all air is bled out of the system just like you would a cars brake system. The gauge is probably toast but pick the RO/DI up in your hand while it is in operation and rotate it all around in differet orientations to release any trapped ir inside the filters and housings, that should help the vibrations.

7. civiccars2003

There was air that went through it when first started. I picked up the unit and rotated it, vibrations got a bit worse. I believe I have another gauge around some where. I'll look to replace it.

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

10. civiccars2003

This issue is preventing me from getting my new build up and running. I failed to mention when I moved the unit, it was from one house to another house. If I cant get anything to work, I plan to redo all the lines.

With air getting into to the lines upon first start up, could that have damaged my booster pump?

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Have you disassembled the pump to see if it is clogged in some way?

What is the house pressure at the new place? What is feeding the pump, if it is a self piercing needle valve it may not be fully tapped into the cold water line which is very common. Start at the beginning and work you way through each piece of the puzzle, disconnect the lines at various places and see what the pressure is at that point. If the pump has a prefilter or a basket strainer clean or replace it. Did you try a new gauge?
    Have you tried making water without the booster in place? What is the pressure without it? I like having two pressure gauges on my systems, one on the incoming tap water line and the one at the membrane so I can monitor headloss caused by the sediment and carbon block filters or to identify a problem with my Aquatec 8800 booster pump.

Is everything plumbed correctly? Do you have any photos of the system and its plumbing, that would help trace all the lines.

Go into troubleshooting mode. Remove the sediment and carbon block filters one at a time and run the system without it for a few minutes. Does it do anything? This will help you find a fouled or clogged filter that may not visibl look bad because it is fouled down deep.

12. civiccars2003

See answers above...