Moved Derasa without thinking?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by MoJoe, Apr 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I got a nice Derasa on Friday and placed it on my sandbed. Last night I decided I wanted to move it to another spot on the sand. Normally I'm pretty researched on things, but I didn't even think about the clams foot. I grabbed it with my hand and pulled it off the sand. I did it gently and didn't notice any resistance. I did notice some stringy strands on the bottom as I brought it up and re-oriented it. It was a short clump, not long strands.

I'm kicking myself as I should have thought before I did it. It has opened a bit in its new area and seems ok, but it was night so I will have to check on it with the lights on. Should I worry that I damaged it at all? Or is two days not enough time for it to really get situated and rooted in place? (pic is of it before the move)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Sarrixx

Sarrixx Bristle Worm

I'm not sure about clams, but I think if it came out of the sandbed with minimal resistance and it is starting to open in its new spot it should be ok. Make sure the new area it is in has adequate light available to the clam and adequate flow.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks, it's in a spot that has better light now, which is why I moved it. It def didn't feel anchored when I had picked it up.

Funny thing I noticed, after moving it I saw a hermit crawl up its side. I watched as it got to the top and then the clam pulsed and it sent the hermit flying off. I thought it was pretty awesome to watch, this clams got spunk!

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think it will be OK also, especially when it kicked the hermit off.

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Your deresa will be fine. I did that w/ my maxima a few months ago by accident. He was pissy for a few days, but thats all.

7. hardyreef

hardyreef Flamingo Tongue

my deresa looks the exact same. My stupid turbo snail nocked it down and no the shell has a small crack :( but he is opened up ant the crack is almost gone

8. Click Here!

9. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

good to know for myself, a unexperienced clam keeper. i plan to get one someday and now i know to place it where i want the first time and dont move it :)

good luck with yours it sounds like it'll be ok

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you get a maxima or crocea the should be placed on the rocks in a level spot mid to top of your reef.

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Appreciate the advice everyone, I'll check it out when I go home, seems like it should be ok though!

12. ClamsOnDemand

ClamsOnDemand 3reef Sponsor

If you clam was just in the sand it wouldnt have ripped. Sand isnt heavy enough to cause so much resistance to pull at it. Unless it went through the sand to the bottom of the tank. It should be fine. Sometimes they release parts of it. Sometimes my clams dont even move or are touched and I find peices of there flesh.