Moved Anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by map95003, Dec 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

As some of you may have read in one of my tank threads, my anemone split again about a month ago, seems like it's splitting every year now. The new one was stinging every thing in it's reach so I had to get it out. After trying for a long time with ice cubes at it's foot and a turkey baster, I gave up and used a knife and hammer to try and chip away at the rock near it's foot. My rock structures are anchored below the SB so I can't get the rock out, I had to cut parts of it's legs to get it out. I didn't think it would make it, but what's even more interesting is that the 2 pieces of it's leg that stayed attached to the rock came together in what looks like a new anemone, can't wait to see the outcome....here's a pic, I had to take it from the back of the tank so it's not too clear

DSC_0498.JPG

Here's the anemone recovered in my pico vase. It didn't acclimate the the LEDs yet, when the lights go on it shrinks.

DSC_0531.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

interesting. i will follow this one for sure.

4. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Isn't nature a wonderful thing! That vase rocks!!

5. map95003

The new anemone has fully recovered in the pico vase under LED lighting, not sure if I got lucky or if these suckers are tougher than I thought. After the condition it was in when I pretty much cut it out of the other tank, I definitely did not expect it to live.

I ended up removing some rock and some of the corals from the vase to give it some extra room. I also removed the talbat damsel fish from the vase, he's now in my sump until I figure out what to do with him. I was thinking of throwing him in my DT but I first have to make sure he wouldn't cause any problems..

6. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

That's cool. Will follow this thread.

7. map95003

Starting to look like an anemone...hopefully this is not giving anyone any great ideas of cutting up their anemone, that's not the purpose of this thread.

DSC_0596.JPG

Here's a pic of the anemone I moved, recovered in the pico vase. I still can't figure out how to get good shots through the glass of the vase, it's very poor quality glass.

DSC_0608.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. map95003

been a while since I updated this thread....here's what the little piece of the original neme that was stuck in the rock after I cut it looks like today...this started out as 2x1/4" pieces of the foot that came together. Now it's attached to one of my candy cane corals... have to find a way to move it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

hmmm thats strange, i always was told they needed tentacles and a part of the foot to regenerate into a new nem

11. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

that really is amazing! thanks for the thread.