Mounting corals on back wall

Discussion in 'Coral' started by blackraven1425, Nov 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Ok, so I've seen this done in a couple of aquariums, and I was wondering both how it's done (I'm guessing via a large pair of magnets) and what kinds of crals would be successful in that position (I've seen monti caps). Could other kinda of montis be successful on the back wall, like the encrusting montis? Does this sound like a good way to get serious color on the back wall, or a horrible thing to try? What kind of magnets and where do you get them?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I have seen them being attached using marine safe epoxy as well. I was thinking about doing this to my tank as well. Not totally sure how Im going to go about it just yet though.

4. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I dont use magnets for mine. The corals I chose for my back wall are zoa's with miltiple colors. They are small and lite and will not fall off. If you do not have algae covering the glass you will have to use magnets. As far as what kind. Some use mag floats. I started a zoa colony on the back glass of a friends tank and just took a small peice of acrylic like the light cover and cut a small square and set it on bottom and put it next to the zoa rock and they spread to the acrylic then I took and cut it away from the rock and glued the 2 x 2 acrlic to the back glass and the zoas done the rest. It is very attractive. good luck remember without algae on the back glass you will need a mag of some sort. Do not try to put heavy branching corals on the glass. If I had a cam Id show ya

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

For me I used super glue. Brought down the wate level, dried the back wall and applied the super glue. Let it sit for a min or two.

My entire back wall is covered in GSP, pretty but was it a good idea, still unsure about that.

Tried monti a couple of times but the piece always break when I messing with the tank.

6. blackraven1425

Epoxy? Straight onto the back wall?

I'm guessing that involved some crazy glue too, because epoxy wouldn't hold onto the wall itself - unless I'm thinking of the wrong stuff.

7. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

You do not have to dry the wall to use the super glue. I put it on some corals and then on the rock and glue them down but drying the wall is a waste of time....just glue em....

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

I just find that super glue gets a skin over it too fast to work with when dealing with it underwater sometimes, and it makes it hard to get stuff glued well (I super glue nearly all my corals to the rockwork because it looks better). I don't think I'd drain it either, but I would be very careful TBH. A magnet is sounding like the best idea to me though, since it'll probably give the best hold.

10. Hunt

Hunt Flamingo Tongue

i had coraline algae growing all the way across my back glass. i set a peice of rock with my green star polops growing on it against the glass, and in about 6 months it covered about a foot diameter, I thought it looked really good, and i had no problems with it. it really bummed me out to have to peel it off when i sold that tank

11. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

Sounds like a cool idea, but I'm curious if ill glue small piece of rock with my zoas to some magnet, will it grow on my glass overtime? I'm not sure if can grow on acrylic surface. Some one please post pics!!!!

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you can get it to stay you can grow just about anything. I have xenia growing on my as well that was unintentional, also some sponge. Picture would not do any good because of the placement.