Motion Motion Comotion!!!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Dador, Feb 21, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Me again. Would anyone please tell me what you are using for motion in your tank. Ive been looking at http://www.wave2k.com/shopping.htm

This is driving mr crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! I've heard that this is 2nd only to lights!

Thanks all!!::) ::) :worried: :worried: :tongue4: :tongue4: :eek: :eek: :-/ :-/ :-/ :victory: :victory: :laughcry: :laughcry:

2. Click Here!

3. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

you would be better off gettins some maxi jets different gph rates and a timer with a timer oulet that you can buy that will control four or more actual powerheads turning them on and of in different intervals

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

im using 2 8hf rio power heads lol, they arent the best but my corals r happy :)

5. Dador

Chetrod. Thanks. Thats the way I'm going to go. How many Maxi Jets would you reccomend? 60 gal Hex 24" accross. Also are all of them place at the top of the tank?:confused:

6. chetrod

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

chetrod why do you think he'd be better off with that than a wave2k? Have you seen this thing in action? I've always been curious about it.

8. Click Here!

9. chetrod

Mainly price and diferent ways of water movement vs just a surge. Not a bad idea I read an article where this guy made the same thing out of a five gallon bucket and a pump I would have to see if I could find it. you can buy the dual timer for 42 bucks and the powerheads are on sale now at foster and smith maxi jets 1200 are $16.99

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4609&N=2004+113040

10. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

i'd think for a 60 gallon you would want to achieve at least a 20x turnover, if not more depending upon the species you are keeping. you would be looking at 4 1200's at least. you might just want to upgrade your pump (mag 9 or 12) leading from your sump and divert the flow to different sections of the tank. i've seen people using the scwd but with negative feedback (failing after a few months), maybe you could try using some pvc and incorporate a om squirt. i'd think that if you used that many powerheads within the tank, it may take away from the beauty of the tank. especially since you are looking at only 24" sides, just a suggestion though. hth.

11. Dador

I keep going back and forth on the idea of the Wave 2K just for that reason.

12. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

i would just think that a wave2k or the tunze wavemaker might prove itself more useful in a longer tank. in a tank that is only 24" in every direction, i don't think you would be able to use the "surge" to it's full advantage. just my two cents. i know you are cycling at the moment but have you thought about drilling the tank at various height's (sp?) for a closed loop?