MORE SAND

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by david, Jun 9, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Is it possible to add more substrate to an already cycled tank
    or would the tank have to cycle all over again? Now I'm thinkin' another inch or so wouldn't be a bad thing ?

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Navy, 2, 99%]Hey david,

Adding sand to an already cycled tank will cause it to cycle again. It won't be as large a cycle as the first, and it won't take as long, but you WILL have an ammonia spike, then a nitrite spike, and so on...

I'm not sure what you have in your tank, but inverts don't do well with mini-cycles. Ammonia spikes adversely affect a LOT of critters (especially starfish, urchins, and the like). You will have to monitor your pH and salinity during this time too, as both will probably wind up out of whack with you attempting to deal with the mini-cycle.

If it was my tank, I wouldn't do it. It is a hassle at minimum. It is going to kill some of your critters, at maximum.[/glow]

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Maybe you can put some sand in a plastic tub and add some water from your tank during the next water change and let it sit in that for a while.

Never done it, just thought of it. Maybe it would help?

Anyway, an inch to the tank probably would be OK if you don't make a giant mess of it. I know some have used pvc tubes to add sand.

matt

5. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Hmmm, well what about using live sand would this still give me the cycle problems? I wasn't sure how much sand to use so I went with what pet-co recommended but I only have about 2" of substrate and now I'm learning I sould have more!!Livin' where I do It's a 2 hour drive to a good reef store. The shops around here dont have a clue what the hell they are doin'.I have learned so much just from this site. I tell everybody about it I hope they check it out.Maybe I can save the lives of some poor animals!!!

6. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Do you guys think I should leave well enough alone and stick with the two in" or will it hurt me in the long run (tough call?)

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

During my first set-up I wanted to add more sand. Big mistake. It was everywhere I spent days with a Turkey Baster Blowing sand off of the rocks.
    But since I have used a funel and some plastic tubing. I would fill the funnel up with sand and I had the tubing attached to the bottom of the funel. I was able to direct the sand exacltly were I wanted it with minimal clouding.
    One thing you may want to consiter is you will lose 1" of your rock as well, beneth the sand. Good for stability

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Argg, how come I always have counter experience to every one else? I've added 2+ inches to several 55g tanks, and had no after effects. No mini cycle, no nothing, except a rise in ph and alkinlinity (southdown) for about a day. I say, add you sand now, don't wait. You can add 1/2" a day as recommended by some authors, although again I've added more. Good trick for sand is to use an 8" fish bag (ask lfs for one or buy a fish and use the bag), fill with sand (rinse dirty substrates, aragonite doesn't need much, still do it though) and then fill with tank water, put into tank and slowly submerge bag and slowly pour sand onto bottom. I rest the entire bag on the bottom and slowly pull up and across tank bottom.

10. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Gresham,
    That is exactly what I was hopin' to hear. Now just one more question are you talkin' about "live sand" or just sand.  thank you !

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[glow=red, 2, 100%]I have added a bag of live sand to my 80 gallon tank. I took the bag of wet sand and cut a small hole in the top corner of the bag. After removing a few gallons of water during a normal water change, I put the bag in the water and using the opened corner, much like a pastry decorator, allowed the sand to flow slowly and evenly around the tank. I then adjusted high spots by hand and so far so good and that's been a couple of months.

I do have a little cyanobacteria at this time which indicates a little spike and that the tank is adjusting. There are tons of nitrogen bubbles and the sand is jumpin' with critters. The only thing I lost were three small mulloscs, but I can't say for sure it was due to a live sand spike for sure as no other critters have shown any ill effects[/glow]

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

12. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

Gee, I guess ignorance really is bliss. I added 30# of live sand to my existing 3 month old tank about 2 weeks ago with no adverse effects. I'll chalk it up to beginners luck. I had no idea that it was a potential problem. I have noticed a small algae bloom and also I once again have the brown diatom stuff on the sand. All of my critters seem unaffected.

Even though I've not posted in a while I do read what you guys write and I learn lots from this site.