[MORE PICTURES ADDED! Pg 5 5/24/11] JJL's Aquarium Pictures!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by JJL, Apr 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

It is such a beautiful fish though, but I think I am going to have to take your advice here and not go through with it. I did notice you said, "For me to keep one AGAIN..."
    What was your experiance with this fish? Did it starve? Probably not going to go through with it. I was also doing some research this morning and noticed what a pricey fish it really is in the long run. Thank you for your other suggestions on the fish I will have to do some reading on them. Looks like the hunt continues ;)
    As always thankyou for your advice
    JJL

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Thanks for the suggestions ;)

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

With your tank being mostly softies,what kind of a difference in calcium demand have you noticed since you added clam?Tank is still lookin great!

1 person likes this.
  5. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I have still been adding my regular supplements, while boosting the dose just a little bit. But, luckly I have been able to keep calcium where it is suppose to be ;)
    JJL

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The first one I did starve (1986). Next one much better almost 2 years, and the last I gave away after a number of years but it did much better in a tank with GHA, cyano..... you name it. I did not want an algae tank at the time so both went. Maybe when ORA gets it down better at far them eating prepared foods and they are more readily breed in captivity.

The Blue Spotted Jawfish (BSJ), is not breed in captivity and is very limited in it's distribution geographically. They are prone to a unique disease that is fatal. Many theories on treatment, preventative measures and such but it's always a risk with this fish. Their personalities are their best trait and second coloring and their burrow building skills ( not big stand storms). This fish I would have again in a heart beat.

7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Very nice info. on the Jawfish, and I love the no sandstorm part ;)
    Can this disease affect the entire tank? And do other Jawfish get it?
    JJL

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

No, it is limited to the JF, other fish my be afflicted or carry it but they do not become symptomatic or succumb to it.

The key to success seems to be to get one that has not been at the LFS long or in transit and fat. Any signs of white blotches, peeling skin, problem fins and it usually ends bad. I have not recently looked into any new treatments or research, so maybe someone can elaborate. Last time I checked they were still not sure what the specific pathogen was therefore unable to reliably treat with the usual medications.

10. Corailline

11. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Thank you very much for the info...tons of info indeed :laugh:
    Also this might sound like an odd question, but if/when the jawfish burrows could it ruin the structure of the rock/other coral by loosening the sand under it? It seems like the hunt will continue because I just did some reading, and I o not believe my sand bed is deep enough :(
    Adding more sand will disrupt the tank so that is not really an option
    Thanks for all of the help though
    I think I will go for either a longnose hawkfish (how aggresive?) or a firefish goby
    JJL

12. Corailline

You can make burrows for them with PVC, rubble or modify some large barnacle shells. Once mine made a burrow he only added to the surface, constantly. They like marble size or larger pieces of rubble. You can add more to the tank occasionally, they find it interesting and start working on the entrance to get it just right.

I suppose there is probably some risk, but mine never burrowed under the rockwork, one burrow with an entrance and exit (sometimes), not like pistol shrimp or others that undermine the structure almost constantly.

Oh and they like passive tank mates that do not occupy the same level of the tank.